Rollei 35 LED shutter issue - won't completely close after shutter release

<p>Hi all,<br>

I read some other posts on shutter-speed issues with Rollei 35 models, but my problem is a bit different and I was hoping to get some advice before taking the camera apart myself and looking around.<br>

I have a Rollei 35 LED which seems to be in excellent condition. The different shutter speeds, aperture, light meter, etc. all seem to be working just fine.</p>

<p>So here's the issue: when I take a picture, the shutter opens for the exposure and then doesn't close all the way. Instead of snapping completely shut, it leaves a small opening in the center of the lens. This remains open until I wind the advance lever, at which point the shutter closes the rest of the way. It seems to happen on all shutter speeds, but not every single time.<br>

I've uploaded a video to illustrate the problem in action:<br>

<a href="https://youtu.be/LlfJCqPhXe0">https://youtu.be/LlfJCqPhXe0</a></p>

<p>I appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this or understand why this is happening.<br>

Thank you!<br>

Joe</p><div>00eEAa-566346184.JPG.4db346081ff2fff8463c3c05a7c9ab09.JPG</div>

<p>This problem might be somewhat common on the 35 LED. Unlike its costlier cousins (the Rollei 35 and 35S) it uses a simpler shutter which may be the culprit. My Rollei35 LED developed the same problem a few years ago. When mine refuses to completely close the shutter blades I have to open the back press one of the linkages to return it to normal. Unless you can find a way to a DIY repair it would likely be less expensive to pick up another one. </p>

<p>I watched your video and that looks like a very common problem with any camera that uses<br>

a leaf shutter. Chances are the camera has been sitting around for 20 or more years and this<br>

has allowed lubricants to get into shutter mechanism and the shutter blades and dry out <br>

over the years causing all kinds of problems. The only solution is to take everything apart<br>

and do a good cleaning or try and find one that works.</p>

Thanks very much for both responses. I didn't realize that this model used a different type of shutter than the original 35

and the 35S. I'm looking into picking up a 35 in case I cannot fix this.

Just taking this camera apart is a bit difficult, as I haven't been able to find any guidance for that online - there are videos

for taking apart the original 35 for cleaning, but nothing for the LED, and they seem to be quite different internally.

I should have mentioned that this doesn't occur every time I take a photo. Maybe one out of four times, the shutter

closes normally. The other times, it stays open a bit.

I tried lubricating the little gears that seem to control the shutter with some lighter fluid, and it actually worked just fine for

about twenty shutter releases, then started to fail again.

Just thought I would mention in case this gives anyone more ideas on how this might be fixed. I don't think I'm quite

bold enough to take it completely apart yet!

Thanks again :)

• 1 month later...

<p>Hi Joe,<br>

<br />My Rollei-35 did same thing some time. This only happens when I winding film accidentally twice. Shutter stuck in open position. I have to repeat this winding twice again to become normal. It never happens with one singe winding. I open the camera and have found what shutter push lever was stuck to crank lever (inside on the lens shutter tube) what control shutter blades. You can adjust it. </p>