New "test" of Nikkor 70-200mm AF-S VR

omar

Finally Nikon is competing with Canon. The only reason I didn't move to canon when I was hunting for a 500mm lens, is that I couldn't afford a IS lens anyway. So I stayed with Nikon and bought Sigma 500mm. I guess by the time I'll be able to buy a IS or VR lens, there will be lots of VR lenses in the market. Or at least pros will start selling their AF-S lens and go for VR, then I can get AF-S :)

"In a recent meeting with Mr. Tetsuro Goto, Head of Research and Development for Nikon SLR cameras, I asked if all future professional specification Nikkors would follow suit and be of the G-type. He explained that the decision to adopt the G specification for the VR 70-200mm lens was based purely on engineering reasons, because Nikon�s priority was to produce a lightweight, compact lens, and that there was no policy to dispense with a conventional aperture ring in future lenses provided it fitted the design criteria."<p>

Hmmmmm, what criteria would that be?

Chuck, if your objective is to have a 400mm/f5.6 with VR, I would wait a bit longer to see how the 70-200 VR works with TCs, 1.4x and 2x, in terms of (1) image quality, (2) AF speed as well as (3) how well VR works with a 2x TC on. Generally speaking, I have doubts about adding a 2x TC on a zoom.

I played with the lens today and I have to say that it has the best "feel" factor of any Nikkor lens I've tried. Lightweight, solid, amazing zoom and manual focusing feel, looks like the VR works ok, and tripod mount seems to be solid too. The list price in my country is 3000 � (including VAT). That's pretty high since I bought my 80-200/2.8D ED N for 1000 � new. But the lens seems pretty nice. It's good to hear that Nikon isn't planning on going all "G".

Hmmm, 3000 Euros = about 2700 dollars. So the street price would be about $2000 here in US, This means the new lens with AF-I teleconverters would not quite price competitive against the 80-200 AF-S + 80-400 VR combo. I sort of expected this, since Canon's own 70-200 IS is also around $2000.

Actually the US $ has dropped quite a bit recently and 1 Euro is now approximately $1.07. The Canon 70-200mm/f2.8 IS is now $1700 at B&H (the grey version is about $80 cheaper), so $2000 for the new Nikkor 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR is in the ballpark.

In any case, since I don't see why I need VR in a 70-200mm zoom, all of these is moot to me.

Paedee's camera store here in Sacramento promises the new Nikon 70-200mm AF-S VR for this coming friday (2/21/2003). The retail price is $1899.99. Putting the relative prices into prospective, This same store sells Nikon's older 80-200mm AF-S for $1699.99 and Canon's 70-200mm IS for $1999.99