FE 50mm lenses

<p>Im not buying any Sony A7 series or E-mount lenses yet but I will going to buy them in few years since Im tire of using DSLR which is quite heavy to carry around and made me some what lazy for shooting pics.</p>

<p>I really use 50mm lens a lot and I need to get one with standard zoom lens. I know that I can not afford two premium lenses from the beginning but at least I need to know about E-mount lenses. For standard zoom lens, 24-70mm F4 would be the only choice unless I pick cheap lens from prim lens.<br>

Base on my research, I found FE 50mm f1.8, Zeiss FE 55mm f1.9, Zeiss Loxia 50mm F2, Samyang 50mm f1.4, and GM 50mm F1.4. Since I spent a lot of time with the camera, I would prefer small and portable lens instead of big and heavy lenses like Samyang 50mm f1.4 and GM 50mm f1.4.</p>

<p>So, Zeiss Loxia 50mm f2, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, and FE 50mm f1.8 are my choices. Any thoughts about these lenses so far?</p>

<p>I have a Loxia 50/2. It is an excellent lens, relatively small, and strictly manual, including the aperture ring. While a little larger than a Leia Summicron 50/2, it is of the same philosophy. I also have a Loxia 35/2 and am considering a Loxia 85/2.4 (which will be available late December).</p>

<p>The Sony/Zeiss FE 55/1.8 is autofocus, and one of the sharpest lenses in the Sony stable. The Sony 50/1.8 is a consumer level lens, mostly plastic, and relatively inexpensive. Samyang lenses are best described as "affordable." The Sony 50/1.4 GM is comparable to a Zeiss Otus at 1/3 the price, and nearly as large.</p>

<p>All these lenses have been extensively reviewed on other sites.</p>

<p>I use the Loxia 50mm on an ATRII and am impressed by its rendition and resolution, although it is a more or less traditional lens formula and non autofocus (not essential in my work; in fact I prefer the manual focus). If you need autofocus, the FE 55mm is an alternative.</p>

<p>I didn't worry too much about getting "premium" lenses when I got my first A7 camera. Most manual focus legacy lenses work fine, stopped down a stop or so, but lack electrical connection to the camera which is nice to have but not need to have.You connect them with readily available glassless adapters. The Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 works great as does the very compact Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AIS. The Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 is an excellent and versatile choice. If you want "character" in a lens look no further than a Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 or Pentax Takumar SMC 50mm f/1.4. Both of those are found in M42 mounts. All are quite affordable while you save up for the high-end Sony AF lenses. After a while, depending on what you are shooting, you may decide you don't need them.</p>

<p>If you are set on an AF, e-mount lens, the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 is top notch even wide open. Prices on these have eased slightly for new if you shop around but still spendy. Better to find a clean user from a reputable source with a good return policy. </p>

I have the FE 50 f/1.8 and it's excellent optically - by accounts I've read, almost as good as the much more expensive 55.

The problem for me has been its terribly slow AF...though there was a firmware update issued to remedy this. I haven't

had a chance to do that update yet, but supposedly it helps quite a bit.

<p>Interesting option, Peter, and a lens not often really used at full aperture for best macro results. Interesting at half the price of the 55 mm Sony/Zeiss FE lens, but how it compares with the cheaper new 50mm Sony FE lens (f1.8) will be of interest to learn someday as well, for Benjamin and for those interested here (John speaks well of its performance vis-à-vis the 55mm lens).</p>

<p>How much real difference exists between a 7k$ Leica APO 50 mm f2 lens and its 2k$ non apo version? How much can be seen in even moderate size (11 x 14 or 12 x 16) prints?</p>

<p>How much real difference is there between an engineering plastic built Sony 50mm f1.8 FE lens and its mainly metal 55 mm f1.8 Sony-Zeiss FE option? How much can be seen in even moderate size (11 x 14 or 12 x 16) prints?</p>

<p>Such differences (however small) aside, does the considerable extra cash buy you a more uniform manufactured lens, free of lens element decentering or other assembly vices? Is that the advantage?</p>