Pentax 67 film does not advance!! help!

ding_chang_han

<p>Hey guys, I have recently bought a pentax 67 and thoroughly enjoyed my times and the rolls I shot with it. However it becomes this morning that the advance lever is seemingly faulty. It would spin when I have the back open and no take-up spool inserted. However, when i put my films in it, the lever is not stuck, but a pull on the lever does not deliver a advance in the film (counter does not advance as well) , the spool would not spin. To be clear, it would spin when i just put the film in and advance til the arrow shows up near the curtain. Yet any more advance from that point would not deliver. the lever produce a sound that it feels like it is hitting sometime while i pull on it like. (ta.ta.ta.ta.ta... unlike when it is properly engaged). I have tried playing with pressure plates and film selectors. I also tried to manually move the counter pass the 0 to dry fire. It fires, yet even then the counter does not move and the weird sound that the lever produces stays.<br>

Please help a dying soul. Any input would be appreciated. <br>

If anyone can suggest a reasonable place in Toronto for repairs, that would help as well!<br>

Thanks!</p>

• 5 weeks later...
First suspect: a pawl in the film advance gear mechanism has stripped. This can occur due to heavy use and age of the camera, although the 1990-era Pentax 67 did have a number of engineering improvements and is not as strife-prone as the 1969-vintage Pentax 6x7. Repairs entail cannibalising another Pentax 6x7 or 67 body (parts are not backward compatible) which leads to circular redundancy and a much-increased risk of future unreliability. The question is whether the cost of repairs will potentially be more than the worth of the camera; it's a great camera, absolutely, but its age is catching up to it, and millions still in circulation develop some sort of fault (or faults, plural) in time.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Welcome to the forum Gary. Glad you found us. I've been here for 20 years now.

Desertscape

Thanks Steve. I did have a membership to photo.net which appears to have lapsed. It was started in 2003 I think.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans