Picked up a 2.5cm Topcor lens - should I get a body for it?

<p>Hi all,<br>

I picked up a rather lovely RE.Auto-Topcor 2.5cm F3.5 lens. Focus is a little stiff/uneven, front glass is lovely, rear glass is fine, protected by a cute little bayonet UV filter. Seems fairly clear inside, possibly a little light dust/fungus at the rear (hard to tell).<br>

Should I look for a body to match and go shoot some film? Which model Topcon body? Who would be able to CLA this lens. It's beautifully built!<br>

Thanks!<br>

Rif</p><div>00eEl4-566450384.thumb.jpg.88a61b6f955749c31a50eeba5502159e.jpg</div>

<p>I am not sure which body it works with.</p>

<p>That last camera my grandfather owned, and the only one of his camera that I didn't inherit, was an Auto 100. Not so many years ago I bought one, and it seemed like it worked, but as soon as I put film into it, it stopped. The whole mechanism locked up. </p>

<p>The Auto 100 is a leaf shutter SLR, which has different complications to keep working than focal plane shutter versions. </p>

<p>Well, just because one didn't work doesn't mean yours won't, but check carefully.</p>

-- glen

<p>This lens will work with a Topcon RE Super, Topcon Super D, Topcon Super DM, Topcon RE2 and Topcon D1. The last two cameras have fixed prisms and vertical Copal shutters. The other three cameras (and variations of them) are system cameras which have interchangeable prisms and focusing screens, horizontal shutters and accept winders. These are interesting cameras and I have a modest collection of them. All of these cameras are readily available on eBay. Most are priced reasonably. A Super DM in pristine condition can be costly. Any general camera repair facility should be able to service the lens. </p>

<p>This is a rather unique lens in the Topcon line-up; advantages include:</p>

<ol>

<li>A different/unique style of lens shade</li>

<li>Series 9 filter holder</li>

<li>Bayonet rear element filters</li>

<li>Special "brighter" removable viewfinder screen No.5a</li>

<li>Nearly macro 6 1/2 inch closest focus </li>

<li>Special lens case</li>

<li>Favorable <a href="http://abbynormallenses.com/topcor-r-25mm-3-5-2/">lens review</a> <<< click >>> <a href="http://forum.mflenses.com/black-topcor-25mm-f3-5-takes-its-1st-walk-t75694.html">More images</a></li>

</ol>

<p>Because of the possible use of the dedicated viewfinder screen, best to acquire <strong>the fantastic</strong> (used by the US Navy)<br>

<strong>ser#46</strong> Topcon RE Super and Topcon Super D units (These are today real bargains). </p>

<p>Or, acquire an adapter and mount it to a modern <a href="https://northrup.photo/6-reasons-you-should-own-a-vintage-lens/">digital mirrorless camera</a> <<< click<br>

Going this route, you'll re-discover all your old "legacy glass"; dozens of adapters available...</p>

<p>If you want to keep your lines straight you can get a Super D or RE Super and put in a #4 (grid) focusing screen. I don't have an RE Topcor 25 but I can fit a 24/2.5 Tamron Adaptall II (1st or 2nd version) to my Topcons with the correct adapter. Finding a Super D or RE Super with a properly working meter might take a while but the shutters are mechanical so they will work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Which one is these is the "better" option? Which one hits the price/performance sweet spot?" <strong><em>Arif R.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>"<em>best to acquire <strong>the fantastic</strong> [sic] <strong>ser#46</strong></em><em> Topcon RE Super and Topcon Super D units</em>"<br /> <br /> The Super DM has a very different transport design and therefore different feel (Rough & noisy). <br /> The <strong>Super D</strong>M units don't begin their serial numbers with <strong>#46.</strong></p><div>00eEzQ-566499284.JPG.9a42cf662d0522907a9d0ad9b1dd8380.JPG</div>

<p>I'll fix you up with a Super D or RE Super from my stable for free. I have a whole bunch of them in my collection; it seems every time I found a Topcor lens I didn't have, it had a body on it, so they've accumulated over the years. I need to go through them to assure you'd get one with a working meter, but they've all been exercised with film in the past year and all were working then. They're not all beauty queens but none of them are ugly!<br>

That is a lovely 25. <br>

You can PM me if you'd like.</p>