What 70-300 are you using?

mark_stephan2

<p>I plan to do some traveling in the spring and I'm looking to pickup a 70-300. I don't mind buying used as long as I get it from a reliable seller. My travel kit will be my Elan 7e, 5D, 50 f1.8II, 20-35 f3.5-4.5 USM, 28-135 IS and a tele-zoom with IS. Looking on eBay it seems the best choices are the Tamron VC and the older Canon 70-300 IS . Before I buy I'd like to hear from users. Budget is in the $200 - $250 USD range.</p>

<p>I bought the original IS lens, the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, the world's first interchangeable stabilized lens (as Canon has it), about a week before its much improved replacement was announced. It can be found on eBay for around US$80 to as high as $200 (I suspect by people who may be unclear on what they are bidding on). At a hundred dollars or so, it is a good, <em>light, </em>stabilized telephoto zoom.<br /><br /> I kept it and was very satisfied with its operation. By comparison to later lenses in the same range IQ was a little weak, but it was far better than its reputation, all the same. My daughter was happy to receive it as a hand-me-down and still uses it today.<br /> I now shoot with the old version (I) of the EF 100-400mm IS lens. In this case I'm still pleased, especially since the newer one costs considerably more.</p>

Don't use these lenses, but below is review by Bob Atkins (PN moderator) of the Tamron with comparisons to

the Canon 70-300 IS (1st version).

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_70-300_vc_review.html

It is the general view that these 2 lenses are much better optically than earlier generation of 70-300 lenses,

including the Canon 75-300 IS. If I needed one of these, I think I would buy the Canon unless the Tamron is

materially cheaper.

<p>Odd, I just had an experience of great expectations gone sour with the latest of the <strong>70-300's</strong>,<br>

the <strong>IS II USM</strong>... A beautiful lens, performing <em>under par</em> from about 250mm. For similar reasons, <br />over the years, I returned 2 of the previous <strong>IS USM</strong> as well as a few <strong>L IS USM.</strong> <br />A good <strong>100-400mm L IS</strong> (especially the <strong>L</strong> <strong>IS II</strong>) beats them all at around 300mm.<br>

A less expensive choice would be my favorite <em>workhorse</em>, the<strong> EF 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM</strong>..! <br />The lens isn't only quite sharp at all focal lengths but rather compact & light with a convenient semi-macro capability. <br />So much for my 2 cts.</p>

<p>Indeed, Kenneth... I missed that. And I miss my Elan 7e, the last film camera I used<br>

some 15 years ago... Analog labs had become so bad that I finally jumped on the digital train. <br />Wonder, what kind o'results the few remaining film developers deliver now..? <br />To go back to Mark with his question, the Tamron would be my choice. <br />If only the labs could live up to <strong>Q</strong> or similar. I'm afraid not.</p>