How to flatten wrinkled bellows

curtis_nelson

Hi,

The bellows on the Toyo 45AX I just bought are quite wrinkled toward

the front, so that when I tilt the lens or extend the bellows out far

enough, they almost never return to their normal folded position. Is

there any way to fix this problem without replacing the bellows?

Thanks,

Curtis<div>004UMM-11302984.JPG.8f8f94e5ef9cf64f7fac64c786cb55ef.JPG</div>

My experience is that sometimes bellows don't like being subjected to external normal force, so that the internal stiffeners flip upside-down. This makes the bellows very unruly and ugly looking. So what I have done is to fashion an L-shaped probe and work in behind the pleats, to put things back the way they should be. Of course this is only possible if there is an open seam somewhere that can provide access, and I don't know how many bellows have that possiblilty.

Curtis, it's true. A picture is worth a thousand words. Now that I have a clear image, I can tell you that that is a severely wrinkled bellows. Way beyond normal. Not very pretty to look at. It probably doesn't leak and is still serviceable, but severly lowers the re-sale value of the camera. The bellows can be replaced. Not an inexpensive repair job. Looks like you have a big decision to make.

The bellows on my 45AX displays similar wrinkles. When using the camera in public, I usually drape my (starched and pressed) dark cloth over the wrinkles to avoid embarassment. ;-)

Seriously, Curtis, the only hassle I've encountered is getting it all back in the camera when you're ready to fold up and move to the next spot. A quick two-handed tug at the opposing corners usually returns the segment to its normal folded position, allowing it to fully compress. By then, the lens board is removed anyway, so if it needs a little internal nudge, that's easy, too.

Curtis,

If your bellows are leather the best cure for wrinkles is to iron them. (However, your picture looks as though the bellows in question may be synthetic so this may not apply)

Proceed as follows for leather bellows.

Strip down the camera as much as possible or remove the bellows if that can be done. Find a small board which fits inside the fully extended bellows. Get the wrinkled bit as flat as possible on the board and cover it with a damp cloth. Use a cool iron and work round the wrinkly bits. When finished refold carefully.

The type of bellows material that Toyo uses for their 45A field cameras is a synthetic material that they call Flexilast. It seems to be a moulded plastic. It is resistant to moisture. There doesn't appear to be stiffeners in the pleats, like the ones used in the folded pleated bellows made of leather or nylon material. I suspect that exposure to excessive heat caused that bellows to deform, in the first place. I doubt that heating the material, again, will correct the problem. I talked to the Mamiya America service department yesterday regarding a part for my AII. They have a very high regard for the value of their parts and service (In other words, they aren't cheap).

Curtis,

When looking at your picture of the wrinkles, I can tell you not to worry. I have exactly the same on my AII. The reason for those wrinkles is that you, or the owner before you, have used the maximum raise possible with a 90 mm lens mounted on a straight plate. I did the same. Since then, I have bought recessed lens plates for my 90 and 75 mm lenses. Now, in fact, the wrinkles help me, when using maximum raise, since with them the bellows are more flexible. Closing the camer is never a problem with those wrinkles. You can easily straighten them out by reachin inside through the front opening, once the lens board is removed.

I would not worry either about the resale value of the camera. After all, the important thing is to have reasonable raise for your wide angle lenses, even if that takes 100 or 200 USD off the money you could get for the camera when selling, instead of taking more pictures. This is a very robust and pleasant camera, Curtis, don't sell it, use it!