Shutter Speeds

<p>Nikon F Camera: Makion 80 to 200 mm1:4.5 Macro1:6 Lens<br>

Using Ektar ASA 100 using Gossen Ascor Flash Meter it calls for 5 that would be f:11 opening 2 stops for the zoom Lens using Vivitar 283 With Flash Mini Soft Box how do I figure EV for shutter speeds under<br>

1/60 Th. For example shutter speed of 1/15 Th of a Second?</p>

<p>I’m not sure I fully understand the question, so forgive me if I am teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs here, but your camera exposure is really made up of two exposures, one from the flash and one ambient. Assuming you have a correct flash exposure for your f11 stop, your flash exposure should be correct for any shutter speed below the flash sync speed (I’d hazard a guess at 1/60<sup>th</sup> for the Nikon F) .Your ambient exposure will be two stops greater if you use the 1/15<sup>th</sup> sec as opposed to 1/60<sup>th</sup>, but it won’t affect the flash exposure, only the aperture will do that. So in summary, stick with the flash output you have, and dial in 1/15<sup>th</sup> second. Your flash exposed picture should look much the same, but you will have more ambient light in the background exposure.<br>

There is a good explanation here, with prior apologies to those who consider Ken Rockwell the antiChrist <a href="http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm">http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm</a></p>

<p>Why do you meter your bare flash and figure in the softbox you'll be using? - I'd flashmeter the softbox. I'd also continuous meter my ambient light.<br>

If I wanted my flash to be fill, I'd stop down an extra stop or two. - If I want ambient to be fill I'll underexpose it via my sync speed.</p>