F-801s doesn't recognize aperture

maria_von_staa

<p>Hello!<br>

Since Yesterday I've noticed a problem with my Nikon F-801s. It doesn't recognize when I change the aperture of the lens, so the photometer is not working properly when measuring the light. The screen just says "F--". <br>

I first thought it could be a problem with the lens, but I've tried with different ones and the problem is still there. Aso changed the battery and nothing happened :(<br>

Can anybody help me?<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Maria </p>

<p>If you are using an older AF lens with aperture ring, and you don't set the aperture to the minimum while trying to use the sub-command dial (which the F801S/N8008S lacks) to change the aperture, the error should be FEE.</p>

<p>F-- indicates that the AF camera body cannot detect any CPU in the lens, which will be the case if you have a non-P type manual-focus lens, such as most AI and AI-S lenses that indeed have no CPU. Or it could be an AF lens (or P-type MF) that has a CPU but somehow the communication between the AF body and the lens' CPU is not working.</p>

<p>I would first clean the electronic contacts around the lens mount, on both the lens side and the body side, to assure good electronic communication.</p>

<p>If we need to further discuss this issue, it would be great if Maria the OP can let us know exactly which lenses we are talking about, manual focus, AF with aperture ring or G/E type. G lenses would have some limitations on the F801s since it has no sub-command dial.</p>

<p>The body will not display the aperture with a manual focus lens. Also the meter would have to be set to manual or aperture priority. If you are using a non-cpu lens, set the meter to aperture priority and move the aperture ring. If the shutter speed changes, probably all is well.</p>

<p>Hello! Thanks for all your answers! <br>

It is, in fact, a manual Nikon Lens Series E, 35mm/f 2.5. The weird thing is that, even though the lens is manual, the camera used to recognize it and now it doesn't. I made a few more trials with other lenses and the photometer works, so I guess the problem would definitely be with the lens. <br>

I also tried the 35mm lens on my digital Nikon and it recognizes the change of aperture from f 0 (?) till f 7, instead of f 22. <br>

What would you say? Is that worse to get fixed? </p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>On your digital body, depending on the model, you may be able to actually set the specification of the lens (focal length and aperture), and once you select that lens, it'll recognise the aperture correctly. But not all bodies have this facility, so it would help knowing which camera you use. Either way, it is not something that needs to be fixed - the camera notices that the lens is being stopped down, and that means the most important bits work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is, in fact, a manual Nikon Lens Series E, 35mm/f 2.5. The weird thing is that, even though the lens is manual, the camera used to recognize it and now it doesn't.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As Tuomas and Professor K point out, a manual lens (without CPU) will show F-- on the display of a F-801/F-801s; it's normal and to be expected. With such a lens, the camera will no matrix-meter and only work in A and M mode.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also tried the 35mm lens on my digital Nikon and it recognizes the change of aperture from f 0 (?) till f 7, instead of f 22.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Also as expected. It actually shows a ΔF and the numbers indicate how many stops from wide open the lens is stopped down. You can enter the lens in the non-CPU menu and then it will show the proper f-stops.</p>