Classic Manual Camera Weekend, Jan. 6

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Erko, I wish I'd bought a used Fuji 690 back when KEH had a plentiful supply. I like the idea of contact printing 6x9 images, but of course the negatives will still fit my scanner. If the quality of the various 6x9 Fuji rangefinders is as high as their 645 series I'm sure they will deliver top quality results.</p>

<p>"All looks good except that the Lens does not mount center on the body, but about 1 cm left of the Center Line."</p>

<p>Hello Tony,<br>

I also just received a Canon P with a 50mm 1.4 lens as a complete set from Japan, my lens appears to mount the same as yours with the aperture mark left of center, I did not think anything about it until you mentioned it.</p>

<p>I Have only run one roll through it and had it lab processed, I too am pretty impressed, even though I just did a couple quickies and still need to take some time with it.</p>

<p>Anyway, I look forward to "playing" with it and seeing how good it will be.</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Don</p><div>00eJ7x-567248184.thumb.jpg.b2a2f74496f587c3548622d5c15643d4.jpg</div>

<p>You're right about the Bronica GS-1 being a heavy camera, <strong>Erko</strong>, though your samples show the fine quality it can produce. Many years ago, tiring of the Mamiya RB67 system I was lugging around, I tossed up between switching to the GS-1 or the Pentax 6x7 cameras, eventually choosing the Pentax, which stood me in good stead for a couple of decades. But I'd still like a GS-1...</p>

<p>I took the Retina II (model 011) I was bad-mouthing earlier in this thread and shot off a roll of Arista EDU Ultra 100, attempting to compensate for the inaccurate viewfinder. I met with some success, and I confronted a few situations that pushed the Xenon lens to it's limits. It's certainly sharp, and renders tones nicely; I post a couple of samples. Developer was PMK Pyro.</p><div>00eJ8a-567249284.jpg.aa06fd7df718e210ab78b100adf2b5ef.jpg</div>

<p>Erko,<br>

I have never used or handled a GS-1, but I can't believe it is as loud as the S2a, but it's possible. When I retired from weddings and things, I wanted a bigger negative than square and thought about a GS-1, Pentax 67 and the big Fuji rangefinders. This was going to be my "travel" / bum-around camera. Well, the GS-1 was priced slightly more then I wanted to pay. So, I ended up with two Fuji 6X9 cameras. One wide and one normal. Shortly after that a Pentax 67 complete outfit fell into my lap and all thoughts of a GS-1 were gone. I did try the RB67 route for a year and decided it just wasn't my cup of tea. Your GS-1 shots and Rick's S2a shot's sure do get a guys mouth watering again, but I have all my needs nicely filled. Of course the "wants" are always there. Very, very nice and as good as anything out there.</p>

<p>Don. Got some info from the Rangefinder Forum. The lens lines up to the left by design, apparently so you could see the aperture number through the eyepiece, although this looks impossible to me. Apparently all LTM's line up like this on Canons & others. Nothing to worry about. As with you, the sharpness impresses. Thank you.</p>
Tony Evans

<p>Rick: That first set from the Xenon looks soft all over. Do you think that was from the film or scanning? The 2nd set looks much better. <br>

Don: That Canon f1.8 looks great! I dont think mine is that good. There seems to be quite a bit of variability in that lens. But then many have fungus/haze, and I'm sure some that appear clean have been disassembled to be cleaned. </p>

<p> </p>