Using movements the "wrong" way.

davewittemann

<p>Hello all. <br /> O.k. so I want to use my 4x5 camera movements in the very "shallow focus " style. Blurring out certain areas and the like. My camera is a Calumet Cambo with a bag bellows and a 90mm Nikkor SW lens. Research ive found has indicated that a 90mm is a poor choice. So im guessing that a 150mm or 210mm would lend itself better for this effect. Is this true? Also what budget minded lenses would work best? Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughts.</p>

<p>It will depend on magnification and/or the subject you plan to shoot. If you are working with e.g., a mockup or miniatures, you`d need to get too close to increase magnification hence to decrease DoF. In this scenario, a longer lens is advisable. If you plan to get architectural images, your 90mm could be the best choice.</p>

<p>A bag bellows will usually be at full stretch at infinity focus with a 210. Even if it will focus, the bellows will be too tight for movements. A standard pleated bellows will typically be around 450 mm long and allow movements even at infinity with a 210, so is probably essential.</p>

<p>I would tend to agree that 210 would be a good place to start but the whole idea of tilting the plane of focus the 'wrong' way implies a degree of personal choice. Here is a link to a wikipedia article about the subject and its history. Julia Margaret Cameron was an early photographer to use this technique.<br>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilted_plane_focus</p>