Coolscan 9000 mirror cleaning

User_4754088

<p>Not sure how many folks here have one of the Coolscan 8000 or 9000 models. I was fortunate to pick up a Coolscan 9000 in 2009 right before they were discontinued. Have scanned hundreds of rolls of film in the years that I've had it, and noticed that the results didn't seem to be as nice as I remembered.</p>

<p>Stumbled across this web site:<br>

http://www.shtengel.com/gleb/Nikon_coolscan_8000_9000.htm</p>

<p>Started thinking maybe my mirror was dirty. Followed the instructions very carefully and opened my 9000 up. Man was the mirror dusty. It is that micro fine dust that gets pretty much like cement, stuck to everything. VERY CAREFULLY followed the instructions on the web site for removing and cleaning the mirror (it's really fragile and mirrored on the reflecting surface, so you can't touch it at all). To clean it, after it's been removed from the scanner, you flood it with distilled water, and a little lens cleaner, soak a lens tissue in distilled water, and with the surface soaking wet, you gently swirl the wet tissue ever so lightly on the mirror surface, never actually pressing the wet tissue to the surface, then flood the mirror with more distilled water, and blow dry with bulb blower. After a few repetitions of this process, the mirror was again sparkling clean. Re-installed everything as per the instruction above, and happily the scanner still works. I noticed the difference in the scans after cleaning. Compared to the dusty mirror, the clean mirror gives more tonal gradations in the midtown areas of an image.</p>

<p>So if you have an aging Coolscan 8000 or 9000, it might be something to consider.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

Cleaning delicate surface mirrors is best done with

alcohol rather than water. It removes grease better,

dries quicker and is less prone to causing

corrosion.

The technique is to lay a lens tissue over the mirror

and drip alcohol onto the tissue. When the tissue is

wet through, drag it smoothly across the

mirror until clear of the edge. If there are still

smears visible then repeat using a fresh tissue.

That's the way we used to clean delicate and valuable scientific optical instruments and micro-circuit production equipment.

<p>I hear what you're saying Joe, but I'm not sure alcohol would be good for this application. It is one of those very delicate front surface mirrors, probably like what you use in the scientific instruments. The one difference is this mirror has a clear coating over it. Not sure what that coating is, but my concern is that the alcohol may soften or smear that coating. That's why the guy recommends only distilled water and a very diluted (with distilled water) lens cleaning solution.</p>