Nikon D7200 vs. Nikon D300

jlevin

<blockquote>

<p>I'd say the D500 is as much bigger than the D300 as the D300 is than the D7200.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D300 and D500 are almost the same size, just the grip protrudes a little more:<br /> Nikon D300 dimensions: 147x114x74 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)<br /> Nikon D500 dimensions: 147x115x81 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)<br /> Nikon D7200 dimensions: 135.5x106.5x76 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)<br /> The D300 weighs some 80g more than the D500. The D7200 weighs some 95g less than the D500.<br /> <br /> At <a href="/bboard/camerasize.com">camerasize.com</a> one can get a good impression of the relative sizes of cameras; but nothing beats going to a store and handling them as some subtleties aren't reflected in the numbers. For example, the D7000 is slightly smaller than the D7100/D7200:<br /> Nikon D7000 dimensions: 132x105x77 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)<br /> Nikon D7200 dimensions: 135.5x106.5x76 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)<br /> yet I have issues holding the D7000 but have no such problems with the D7100/D7200 (aside from the fact that I like the D300/D500 a lot more).</p>

<p>These images should demonstrate that the D300 and D500 are very similar in size; the D500 seems to be a couple of millimeters taller, as indicated by Dieter's numbers.</p>

<p>The D7000, D7100, and D7200 are all very similar in size also. The D7100 and D7200 use the same optional/external vertical grip. However, the D7000's built-in grip is a bit wider and shallower, while the D7200's grip is deeper. That is probably why the D7100/D7200 are more comfortable to hold. The problem is that the entire D7000 series cameras are small and short. When I hold them, the bottom of my palm sticks out from the bottom of the camera, making it less comfortable. That is why I think the D7000 series is a bit too small; anything smaller would be uncomfortable to use. Some people may find adding the optional vertical grip makes those cameras easier to use.</p><div>00eHg8-566977284.thumb.jpg.cd974543edfd496880521597b4c65160.jpg</div>

I use an L-bracket with my D300 to facilitate work on a tripod. I have no reason to ever remove the L-bracket, but in addition I have never had reason to use a battery pack. It occurred to me that trying to use both a battery pack and an L-bracket with a D7200 might not work because the two parts might be incompatible with each other. However, I have read that L-brackets can be made to accommodate battery packs. So I assume no one has found a problem with the D7200 with respect to this matter?

<blockquote>

<p>It occurred to me that trying to use both a battery pack and an L-bracket with a D7200 might not work because the two parts might be incompatible with each other.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They are incompatible. If you want to add the MB-D15 and have an L-bracket, you need one that accommodates both the camera and the battery grip. Since the connection of the battery grip to the camera is not all that sturdy, using an L-bracket with the camera/grip combo may not be as rigid as is desirable for tripod work. It appears, that some manufacturers of L-brackets no longer offer brackets for every camera/grip combo but only for the camera itself (for example, RRS doesn't offer one for the D500/MB-D17 but does for the D500 alone. If I am not mistaken, the same is true for the D7100/D7200 with MB-D16).<br>

<br /> Image of camera with L-bracket: <a href="https://www.kirkphoto.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/b7781d8485133f0722c2a3dde5773e8e/b/l/bld7100d_1.jpg">https://www.kirkphoto.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/b7781d8485133f0722c2a3dde5773e8e/b/l/bld7100d_1.jpg</a><br /> Image of camera with battery grip and L-bracket:<a href="/bboard/%20http:/www.photoproshop.com/images/product_images/info_images/bl-d7100gj.jpg"> http://www.photoproshop.com/images/product_images/info_images/bl-d7100gj.jpg</a><br>

<br /> I owned both size L-brackets for the D200 but have not bothered to purchase any for any subsequent camera/grip combo, just for the camera body alone; I rather remove the battery grip and add the camera's L-bracket if needed than carry the additional weight of the larger camera/grip L-bracket at all times. In the future, I will quite likely forego the expense of camera-specific L-brackets and just add a universal one to my tripod bag.</p>

<p>Really Right Stuff does offer the base plate and L plate for the D500 by itself as well as the D500 + the MB-D17 grip, in all four combinations: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release/Camera-Plates-L-Plates/Nikon/D500</p>

<p>RRS's L plate for the D500 body only is modular. The L can be separated to the base plate and the vertical part, and the two components are available together or separately.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Really Right Stuff does offer the base plate and L plate for the D500 by itself as well as the D500 + the MB-D17 grip, in all four combinations</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oops.<br>

It appears the L-bracket for the D500/MB-D17 is modular too and can be separated. Handy if one needs access to the ports on the camera's left side.</p>

<p>Sorry, but how does a D7200 with grip makes things any easier to carry? Adding a battery grip to a camera because you do not want to have a heavier camera is not making a lot of sense, really. My back is usually a royal mess which drives me to lighter gear as well, and in this situation, my choice would really be the D750, as it delivers the best compromise.<br>

As Shun pointed out, there are a lot of FX lenses that aren't heavy too. The D750 with the 18-35 mentioned, and/or the 24-85VR isn't much heavier than a D300, and delivers a serious step up. The f/1.8 primes are also all reasonably light and pretty excellent. </p>