Pentax Super Program Weird Fault

<p>Hi!<br>

While I'm here I thought I may as well post this as well as the OM 4 question. Once again I bought a Super Program from 'The Bay' although I have had it for quite some time. With the door firmly shut it will only fire at the default speed. This is where it really becomes weird. If I open the latch of the door ever so slightly (or open the door fully) all speeds work correctly. This one has me more stumped than the OM 4. I have considered that there must be electricity passing through the door and more sensibly the door cuts off supply.<br>

Once again, many thanks for looking at this post . If I am lucky perhaps someone will know THE answer.<br>

Graham.</p>

<p>Not sure what could be causing the issue. You might want to take a look at the battery compartment, and even remove the bottom plate to see it anything looks amiss. I don't know for sure but some cameras were designed to fire the first couple shots at high shutter speed so you didn't have to wait for a "long exposure" if you left the lens cap on when loading the film. Does the issue stay after 3 shots and the door fully closed?</p>

<p>I've had several (12+) of the ME series over the past 10 years or so. I don't know what they were like when they were new, but they have not aged well. I'd estimate that 90% of the bodies I have personally owned became or were defective. Even after being CLA'd by the supposed expert on Pentax bodies.</p>

<p>While old SLRs are fun to play with, the ME series seems fraught with danger. I only use mine for extreme casual shooting. Never for anything important. YMMV</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"it really becomes weird' <em><strong>Graham P.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not really.<br /> The ME Super Program is unique in that when the door is open the 1,000th speed default switch <strong>isn't</strong> being closed.<br /> Once the "door" contact is closed the LCD should then read 1,000th; this functions until the counter reaches #1.</p>

<p>Therefore, your physical "counter disc" electronic switch isn't making contact (Most likely contamination or debris).<br /> What does the camera external LCD read (step by step) as you go through this load procedure?</p>

<p>Was never a fan of the Pentax ME Super <strong>Program</strong>.<br /> In order to offer "program" auto, it went backwards from several features of the much better <strong>Pentax ME Super...</strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>"a reasonably 'good looking' shelf queen" <strong><em>Graham P.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>No need to relegate it to that.<br /> Knowing the uniqueness of the "open door" ME Super Program metering/auto. With the door closed, make it so the 1,000th switch isn't making electronic contact.</p>

<p><strong>File/sand/cut/dremel</strong> away the <strong>nub</strong> on the film door; this nub pushes the <em>closed door 1,000th contact switch</em>.<br /> Who cares about the film count. Using film, you're supposed to slow down your photography...</p>

<p>Buy SLR,s that are fully mechanical in operation. They might still be broken but at least no 'weird' faults related to the electronics. As a companion to the OM-4 you can pick up a nice OM-1 body for not much money.<br>

This opinion is not intended to disregard Gus Lazzari's excellent advice. If you can it is nice to get these fine cameras up and running. </p>