Damaged Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX

BratNikotin

<p>I think, I have damaged my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX for Nikon, while traveling<br />The lens would not zoom, so it works only as a prime at 17mm. <br />The little latch that locks it moves seemingly as usually - so I can lock and unlock it as before, or so it seems. No changes there<br>

I know it is lens and not the camera mount, because other lenses are OK.<br>

What could have happened? How can I fix it? (If it is fixable)<br />Are there things I can try on my own, before going to professional service?<br>

</p>

<p>so, you can still extend the zoom physically, or no? i dont think anyone here can tell you what happened precisely, but it sounds like you may have dinged it. in any event, this doesnt seem like it is user-fixable and will require service. at least you have other lenses. </p>

<p>I am going to second on that--what Eric said. Sigma has a service site that does wonderful work--and this lens is well worth investing $100-150 in to return to top shape and come back fully adjusted.</p>

<p>Tinkering with lenses is an art of discovery all of its own--and does not lend itself to those who do not have a small bench with tools and a mechanical aptitude--plus some experience in doing so. The newer lenses with focus motors and OSM are a complex breed over 'simple' mechanical lenses of a couple decades ago--right down to including microprocessors such as your lens has.</p>

<p>The introduction of the C, A, and S line--with attachable hub is a leap forward. But this only fine tunes a working lens. I do have the bench--and over 40 years experience reconditioning manual cameras and lenses. It took one brief look at a focus inconsistency I was having with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro HSM (non-C) for me to determine that it was a job for Sigma Service.</p>

<p>Don't mean to sound discouraging--but similar to a majority of the consumer electronics and gear these days--what is necessary is outside the mien of the traditional hobby level camera repairperson. Here is the Sigma contact information. My experience with them has been very pleasant and professional:</p>

<p><strong>Sigma Corporation of America</strong><br /> Attn: Service Department<br /> 15 Fleetwood Court <br /> Ronkonkoma, NY 11779<br /> Tel: 631 227-2036<br /> Toll Free Tel: 800 896-6858<br /> Fax: 631 585-1895<br /> E-mail: <a href="mailto:info@sigmaphoto.com">info@sigmaphoto.com</a><br /> Hours:<br /> 9:00AM – 5:00PM, M-F EST</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>Thank you.<br /> I can NOT extend it. That is what I said - the lock latch seems to work. But it does not do anything.<br />Lens does not extend and works ONLY as a 17mm prime.<br /><br />I think I will take it for repair:<br /> Question: I see an authorized repair shop<br /><strong>Photo Tech 360W 36th Street, New York, NY 10018</strong><br />It is 1 block from my work. Can I take it there? Without contacting Sigma? Or is it better to deal via corporate entities? I bought it 3 years ago, and it is not under a warranty anymore.</p>

<p>since the lens is no longer under warranty, it doesnt matter whether you ship it to Sigma or not. warranty service wouldnt cover physical damage anyway. i would call Photo Tech and see if you can just bring it there. might be faster turnaround than shipping it through corporate. you could also email sigma and see if they will give you an estimate. </p>

<p>I am pretty sure the lens is not under warranty. Bought it in B&H and I never buy extended service - never needed.<br />It had a limited warranty for defective parts for a year.<br />And, while I do take a very good care of it, and it works as a brand new lens (up to this mechanical issue just now), it visually shows that I spent a lot of time with it outdoors and on various events. So there is no hope convincing Sigma it is a manufacturing defect :)</p>

<p>It is hard to judge without seeing the lens, but hopefully this is merely a small problem with that zoom lock and therefore a simple fix. (Otherwise, if the zoom mechanism is malfunctioning, the repair cost could be high.) Let a tech check it out and see how much the repair cost is.</p>

<p>I have suffered the same problem with this lens after traveling by bus in Italy when the lens was packed hard against the side of a hard shell type suitcase. Luckily I took a selection of Nikon lightweight prime lenses with me to fill in for my zoom stuck at 17 -19mm.<br>

I dismantled the lens when I returned home 7 weeks later and found the cause of the problem near the end of the dismantling process. Two of the three little screws which secure one of the cylinders holding a set of elements that moves in and out during zooming (or the cylinder which remains stationary - I can't remember now) had come loose (probably when the lens was vibrated during the bus trip) and were jamming against the parts the move when zooming.<br>

This is an assembly fault that could have been rectified at the factory assembly stage by simply applying a tiny amount of Loctite or similar screw securing compound to all three screw threads.<br>

If you are technically competent and feel like giving the job a go I can direct you to a video that describes the disassembly process. You also need to take an image of each stage of the process to be on top of the reassembly process.<br>

Any disassembly/reassembly mistakes can cause serious problems. For example I was amazed at how fragile the system is that is employed to relay electrical signals from one assembly to another within the lens whilst zooming, special care needs to be taken to protect this system from damage. Additionally anything that touches the lens's internal optical surfaces can cause marks that need to be removed with specialized cleaning fluids and wipes. Ordinary 99.8% Isopropyl alcohol will not be good enough in most cases.<br>

So there you have it, after reassembly my lens worked fine but it took me at least two attempts to get it right. Basically shame on Sigma for omitting something so simple that would have saved many of their customers so much grief.</p>

<p> </p>