Best Inexpensive Continuous Lighting that can let me "focus" light?

poulette_k

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I mostly do fine art, portrait, and fashion work, mostly shooting in film. I am a student but also starting to work professionally looking for some advice re: equipment.</p>

<p>Basically I am looking for a continuous light source (preferably warm-leaning in colour): tungsten, LED, etc. doesn't really matter but something that allows me to concentrated light or somewhat diffuse light much like I can achieve with a studio strobe (snoot + other attachments). Basically I've been working with these studio strobes but in the "continuous light" setting (i.e. preview mode) to do what I want but I don't want to invest that much money into strobes if I'm not going to use the flash on them.<br>

So basically, do you guys have anything in mind that will allow me to do the above and won't cost a fortune?</p>

<p>Would be nice if they weren't too bulky either....</p>

<p>Thanks a lot in advance,</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I already use Bowens Gemini monoheads with the S-mount lightmodifiers like barndoors, snoots. grids etc for 'focusing' the light.<br>

I also am a long time user of Hedler C12 tungsten lights , which fit quite nicely inside the diameter of the Bowens S mount<br>

My solution was to combine the two together, without breaking the bank.</p>

<p>Bowens has an adapter on to which you can mount a speedlight on one side, and use the above mentioned S-mount light modifiers, as well as eg softboxes etc. on the other side, on any normal lightstand.<br>

The official items is pretty expensive, but there are plenty of cheapo, but still all metal, knock offs around.</p>

<p>Got a few of the cheap ones, and, while I left the L shape bracket onto which normally the speedlight would have been mounted on, removed the hotshoe mount itself.<br>

I then got a metal strip of about 2 cm wide and 3mm thick, and took a piece of approx 15 cm. Bent that piece in an L shape and after some measuring drilled a hole in each 'arm'.</p>

<p>With a simple bolt and butterfly nut I mounted the DIY L shaped bracket on the L shape bracket of the speedlight/bowens adapter where other wise the speedlight hotshoe would have been.<br>

And with another bolt (actually a Hama 5124 camera screw, which has the proper size to fit the Helder C12) I then attached the Hedler C12 on the other size of the DIY L shaped bracket.</p>

<p>Since the Hedler has forced air cooling there's no risk of seriously overheating the adapter nor attached light modifiers (all of which are all metal anyway) and with a few pieces of tape I can keep the power cable of the Hedler away from the back end'fan of the Hedler where the hot air is blown out of the lamp.<br>

It may not look as slick as any manufactured made solution, but nothing similar is on sale anyway, and the costs for making the DIY solution are most likely a fraction of what, if such a thing was for sale, a store bought solution would have cost.</p><div>00dxbd-563263684.jpg.7b5e58d55473d867743b78fa91420369.jpg</div>