Question About the T50 Viewfinder Display

ed_lutz

<p>Yes, the lowly T50.<br>

I have one here that I've never used, and I'm confused by the viewfinder display. All the information I can find online and in owners manuals says the display will have the letter P for Program Mode, M for manual, and a flash indicator. Mine doesn't seem to have any of that. I have a square green patch, and a red patch. It seems the green flashes all the time, but it flashes slower when I cover the lens. The red patch lights and flashes if I take the lens aperture ring off its auto mode or remove the lens altogether. So I can see a certain simple logic to all this, I just cant find anything anywhere indicating Canon ever made them this way. I'm guessing it could be an early version soon superseded by the more complete display shown in all the owners manuals I've found. Does anyone have any knowledge of any of this, or perhaps a link to a scanned manual showing this display?<br>

I've not put a flash on to see if that indicator is present.</p>

<p>Thanks much,</p>

<p>Ed</p>

<p>Thanks Bill but that's the same page that is in all the manuals I've seen. It's not however the indicators that are in my viewfinder. I don't have any letters at all, just two colored squares. Its pretty easy to see what they mean and how to use the camera, I had that figured right off. I'm just curious about when Canon would have put this different metering system in these cameras.</p>

<p>I'm starting to wonder about that. When I look into the viewfinder at the correct angle I can see all three squares that light up. They sit at the correct spot to be the indicators shown in the manual. I'm wondering if maybe there was a mask that would have covered those areas to make the letters. This thing certainly could have been worked on before and perhaps the part was just left out. Other than the lack of the correct letters in the viewfinder it functions as described in the owners manual.<br>

I think I have a couple T50 parts bodies around.. if I haven't thrown them out already. I need to dig around and see how they look in the viewfinder.</p>

<p>Ed, I think that last speculation of yours is the most likely explanation. It is what I was thinking may have happened. It's certainly easy enough to picture how this can have been done. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it will pretty much be to rob the parts -- masks -- from another T50.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Michael, yes I'm going with it. Nothing else really makes much sense. Unfortunately all of my T50 parts bodies are more parts than bodies. Nothing much left to even see how they were made. Doesn't really matter though, it would be fun I guess to fix but in the end I was just planning to see if I could sell this one on anyhow. Too many cameras and this isn't one I'll ever use.<br>

Walter. I see the T50 as the ultimate point n shoot camera. No worries along with the capability to use some of the best lenses ever made. Its an odd combination but one I can see some benefit in. And yes, mir and Mr. Butkus' site are both excellent!</p>