Alignment of Beseler 45M and 45MRC with Versalab Parallel

taylor_sperring

<p>Hello, My negatives show a key stone effect when I am enlarging to 16x20. I have a Versalab parallel and need some help understanding what adjustments to make. The negative stage and lens do not seem to be parallel with each other. Does anyone have experience with these enlargers and the Versalab? Thank you.</p>

<p>You must have all the planes perfectly parallel... say the film plane (carrier), lens plane (lens filter rim), and paper plane (easel).<br /> <br /> So let the easel as the plane that cannot be adjusted. Remove the lens and place the Versalab over the center of the easel pointing up to the glass carrier, check the laser reflection point over the Versalab unit. Move the head to place the dot as close as you can to the center of the white circle.<br /> <br /> After that, you should adjust the lens plane, using one of the provided glass sheets; just attach it to the lens` front barrel using the elastic band. To avoid double reflections just place any non-reflective thing behind the glass sheet (e.g. piece of paper). Check the reflected laser dot, and adjust the lens stage to have it in the center of the Versalab unit.<br /> <br /> After this, all planes should be parallel to each other.<br /> ---<br /> (I`m sorry I don`t have used your enlargers, but others from Beseler, so I`m afraid I cannot help you here. On mine, the film carrier was adjusted by centering the whole head unit, using a screw located on the lower part of the focus rail for one axis (-the screw where the head rely to not spin vertically-), and one of the two screws that hold the whole head for the other axis (-the one at the right side-, the whole head is literally hanging from this two screws).<br /> The lens stage is adjusted directly on the film stage block, in my unit one screw is used to adjust both axis, it was a tricky task so I ended using a third party, three screws adjustable lens holder).</p>

<p>At the 11 inch mark I aligned the carrier, then the lens, then checked the carrier again. I then rose the enlarger to 22 and checked again. I had to reposition the Versalab and noticed the laser was ever so slightly off. There was play in the tension screws that held the lens board level. I also used a paper shim where the 9/16 bolt is located. I have yet to print anything.</p>

<p>I'd measure film carrier frame projection size on the baseboard, hoping to get a more exagurated reading of potential mistakes. - I'd want to see if image height varies on the left and right side or with on top and bottom.<br>

Good luck</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>At the 11 inch mark I aligned the carrier, then the lens, then checked the carrier again. I then rose the enlarger to 22 and checked again. I had to reposition the Versalab and noticed the laser was ever so slightly off. </em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is quite common, at least in my experience with Beseler and some other enlargers as well. If you want maximum sharpness, you have to check the enlarger after every adjustment, or at least to calculate if the deviation could be noticed on the final print.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>There was play in the tension screws that held the lens board level. I also used a paper shim where the 9/16 bolt is located. I have yet to print anything.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the units I have used, the lens board has not a tight fit. In fact, it has a little play that let the lens board to move freely... not a great deal but easy to fix. And the lens stage used to have a somewhat funky design. As I mentioned above, there is a well known third party adjustable lens board that make things way easier -and faster- (this way the enlarger`s lens stage is left locked, and all fine adjustments are done via three Allen bolts).</p>