Going to Sanur, Bali, advice wanted

jaydann_walker

<p>In a few days I will be off to Asia again, for a long stay. As always, photography is my main goal, 'tho visiting new places and getting to know people are equally my reasons for travel. I will be traveling out of Brunei, initially to Sarawak and eventually, to Sabah and on to Malaysia.</p>

<p>However, at the end of April or in early May, I will be in Bali for a week, to meet up with old friends I haven't seen for many years, who will be flying in and out, and only stopping in Bali. As it is impossible for them to change their travel plans to visit me anywhere else (they are on their wayfrom Europe to a family event in Oz and then on to New Zealand), it's now up to me to visit them in Bali.</p>

<p>I have mixed feelings about this, as I haven't been to Bali for such a long stay in what seems like a small eternity. Given our ages (60s-70s) and varied interests, we all prefer not to stay in the Kuta-Legian-Seminyak 'strip' which, if what I'm told now is accurate in any way, has become more a mecca for bargain shoppers than in the (not so) good old days when every 'yahoo' in the Antipodes went to Kuta for boozing and partying. (I do mean the term 'yahoo' in the most sympathetic way, as I was one of them in the '70s!).</p>

<p>Sanur has been suggested as a pleasant alternative.</p>

<p>My problem is that I haven't been to Sanur for such a long time, I doubt I could even find it on the map. Joking - I know it's just to the north of the Kuta strip and to the east of Denpasar city, 'tho I suspect my Bali map was used by James Cook in his long ago travels. I have good memories of Sanur as a pleasant, laid back small seaside community with an okay if not spectacular like Kuta beach, a long board walk along the water front, and just enough good restaurants and other venues to keep we 'oldies' busy for a week or so. </p>

<p>For photography, I will be looking for temples and religious events. My usual equipment will travel with me - Nikon D700, 24-28-60-85, and my Fuji GA645wi with B&W film. I have memories of a mid-'90s visit to Bali, during which time I shot many older temples in the Denpasar, Mengwi and Bedugul area. If time allows, I will try to organise an air conditioned car and driver and take my friends up to Bedugul, where I understand there is a pleasant and reasonably new botanical gardens, and of course the truly beautiful old temple with its lake backdrop. I will try to do a little OL research, but as I have always done, I like to talk to other photographers about my travels, and ask for (and often give) advice. </p>

<p>Has anyone been to Bali, specifically to Sanur in the recent past, and if so, please would you let me have your good advice about where to stay, where to eat, and what to see and do there? Oh, and if I am wrong about the K-L-S strip, feel free to post and tell me.</p>

<p>All information will be greatly appreciated and, I hope, used to our good ends. Thank you all in advance.</p>

<p>JD in Hobart, Tasmania.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Uppdate time now. I went and I did! Had a truly wonderful time, stayed longer than I had planned, and discovered TWO superb photo ops, both likely to result in sales for me. </p>

<p>However, as no-one cared enough to comment, I will say no more. So go to Kuta, peasants! </p>