Leicaflex Standard MK I prism?

<p>I've posted this question on another site, but thought I'd give you folks a shot also. Here goes................<br>

I just picked up a nice Leicaflex Standard MK I that works perfect and looks very nice except for...................! Yup, the prism. The prism looks like somebody shook a can of coca-cola and sprayed it inside the prism. I thought it might be just something on the screen or between the eyepiece and prism so I pulled the top and removed the prism. Well, it's definitely the prism. My question is does anybody here know if any other prism will fit in place of the original? Trying to find a Leica prism would be near impossible and probably cost twice as much as what I paid for the camera. I'm going to try and watch for a parts body, but even those are not cheap. It's still usable, but is like looking through a forest to see one tree. Any ideas?</p>

<p>I’ve heard stories of people substituting prisms from one brand of camera into another. Prisms really are remarkably similar and are about the same size. The trick is to find a prism that shows about the same picture area of your Leicaflex (92%, 95%, whatever it is). Maybe buy a junker Minolta SRT-series, Pentax, etc. and try one of those prisms. </p>

<p>I seem to remember reading somewhere that Minolta actually made some of the Leicaflex bodies and that they were the same bodies used by some of the Minolta cameras. I can't remember which models but maybe you can check it out. Maybe the prisms would be interchangeable.</p>

<p>Like several have already stated, the <strong>Leicaflex</strong> prisms are purely German units.<br /> In fact they're so different, <em>confidence is very high</em> that you won't be able to successfully find a suitable replacement.<br /> I've tried it ! The cradle for the prism in the body is contoured.<br /> Another may "kinda" fit, but there's a reason Leica had the prism in a special shape (To mention just a couple of issues, image cutoff with less magnification).</p>

<p>Creating an absolutely stunning viewing experience, I call these prisms "Leica Diamonds".<br /> Unlike the majority of other manufactures, the bottom and largest surface area is actually curved; labor intensive curved polishing means that it was processed like an ASPHeric lens !</p><div>00dngP-561411684.JPG.8b2c3dd135a637de6975596dff8bf5bb.JPG</div>

<p>DAG does have a source of resilvered prisms for both the Leicaflex and Leicaflex SL.<br>

He replaced one in a SL for me a couple of years ago.</p>

<p>If you do send the camera to DAG for a prism, you might consider having him recalibrate the meter for a silver oxide battery while he has the camera.</p>

<p>Gus, my prism for the Leicaflex Standard doesn't seem contoured, but I could be wrong. I'll have to check when I get home. I do agree that the Leicaflex has an outstanding viewfinder.<br>

<br />Wendall, Don from DAG got back to me and said he no longer sends the prisms out for re-silvering. He said it was taking 6 months or longer to get them back and the wait was to long. He did say he had some nice used ones for sale. I told him I would look the camera over real close to make sure all was well before I stuck anymore money into it. I'll let him know one way or the other tomorrow afternoon. Nice to know at least I can get one anyway.</p>

<p>I wish John success in having his Leicaflex prism repaired or substituted. I only occasionally use a groundglass SLR but have preferred the clear view of Leica and other RF cameras for my type of photography. However, having a Leica Manual from the 1970s (period of the M4, M5 and the Leicaflexes) I appreciated the description of the standard and SL models with their high level of craftsmanship and always had a desire to acquire the standard with its clear screen and central focus aids. It is a unique SLR and I hope you get it back in prime condition.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>A bit off topic, but back 4-5 years ago, before Essex got blown away by the hurricane, they installed a brand new prism on one of my Leicaflex SL. I'm guessing the original Leicaflex and the SL may have the same prism. Although I recently learned Leica USA sold out their spare parts to repair techs, such as Sherry Krauter (maybe Gus too), a lot of those spare parts still do exist, out there in the world. </p>