cameras steady. It consisted of a tripod screw with a 6 foot length

of light chain attached.The lower end of the chain had an "s" hook

attached to form a loop in the chain. You placed your foot through

the loop and lifted the camera up against the tension of the chain to

achieve steadiness. The size of the loop adjusted for various body

heights.

Has anyone seen or used this gimmick and does anyone know if it is

available commercially.

The idea has cropped up a number of times but I am uneasy about using it with large cameras because it places a stress on the tripod socket in the opposite to the designed direction. It may distort the body or even pull out the tripod socket.

"The idea has cropped up a number of times but I am uneasy about using it with large cameras because it places a stress on the tripod socket in the opposite to the designed direction. It may distort the body or even pull out the tripod socket."

Distort the body? Pull out the tripod socket?? I doubt it! Pro cameras are designed to take some stress, including being mounted upside down on the center column of a tripod when necessary. Maybe the camera should be left in the case, in the closet, so nothing can happen to it.

I made my "monopod" out of clothsline and a 1/4-20 bolt from Home Depot.

<P>Geoff, this thing about "pro" cameras being tough as nails and built to stand abuse is all well and good, but it <B>is</B> possible to damage them.</P><P>Rolleiflex users spend extra on the Rolleifix attachment because the 'flex body is not totally rigid, and twisting the camera on the tripod bush can cause trouble.</P><P> OK, perhaps you don't think the Rolleiflex is a pro camera because you can't use it to drive a fence post...</P>

Hi All: My thanks to those who responded with either wit or ideas to my query. Today I went out to gather materials to make my own steady chain. I found some new items which appear to suit the job. I found light weight 1"x1/8"link plastic chain,"S" hooks and French loops all in plastic.It makes a very light steady chain when attached to the camera via a 1/4"/20 ring bolt.