Wimberley Sidekick clamp rough

Hector Javkin

<p>I just purchased a second-hand Wimberley Sidekick, which works beautifully except that the clamping action is rough and sticky. This doesn't prevent the clamp from firmly holding lens, but I'm not used to this on other Arca-Swiss type clamps. The problem is not the knob--with the lens removed, when I squeeze the clamp shut, the knob turns smoothly. Rather it is the motion of the clamp jaw as it moves when closing and opening.</p>

<p>I know not to lubricate parts that are not intended to be lubricated. What's the best thing to do with this clamp? Would a bit of oil be appropriate? Or is there something else I should do? I don't want to return the Sidekick to the seller.</p>

I would take the clamp apart and clean it. I small amount of 3 in 1 oil rubbed on the contact surfaces after its cleaned

probably would do no harm. Alternatively you could give Wimberly a call for the best solution. Good hunting.

<p>Edward, thank you. The clamp has a captive screw design, so it can't simplybe taken apart. There is tiny hex screw inside the knob which presumably releases it, but I'm reluctant to unscrew it without more knowledge (will I need to apply Loc-tite on re-assembly?). Taking your advice, I've written to Wimberley. Since it was purchased second hand, I'm also hoping that someone here has done this before.</p>

<p>"T<em>here should be almost no need for routine maintenance of the Sidekick. It is constructed primarily of aluminum and stainless steel. Corrosion should be an issue only for the roller thrust bearing, which is part of the tilt mechanism. This component is not available in stainless steel. The bearing is well lubricated and should perform well for many years. </em><br>

<em> If the Sidekick is exposed to salt water or sand, it can be easily disassembled and rinsed. If you need to disassemble the tilt mechanism, refer to the assembly drawing at the end of these instructions. Note: the roller thrust bearing is shielded and protected by a thin layer of oil. If extreme circumstances such as extended exposure to rain or submersion in water cause you concern, you can dry the thrust bearing and lubricate it with oil or light grease to prevent corrosion. </em><br /><em> If you need replacement parts, you may order them directly from us. Our Dealers do not stock replacement parts. The plastic alloy bearings in the tilt mechanism are designed to operate even without lubrication, so there should be no fear of the bearings wearing out.</em>"</p>

<p>Nick, the assembly drawing does not show the tiny hex screw that prevents the clamp knob from being removed. It has to be removed to disassemble the clamp.</p>

<p>However, a Wimberley rep wrote me a short time ago with this information. It was what I suspected. I could have tried unscrewing it, but preferred to ask first. The screw is so small that, if it were held in with Loctite Red, it could break unless first heated to deactivate the Loctite.</p>

<p>Thank you again. The clamp is opening and closing smoothly now, and the Sidekick works very nicely.</p>