Two stories of southern windows vs. one story of northern windows

rebecca_shamblin

<p>I am setting up a home studio in the northern U.S., focusing on baby/child portraits. My living room has two stories of southern-facing windows which bring in amazing light, and that's where I've been setting up, but it's hard to be consistent. I feel like I have to move my backdrop precisely to get one "light" across the whole thing, and the shadows of the skinny wall spaces between windows are an issue.<br>

I've been reading about natural light studios and it sounds like a northern exposure window would be better. I do have one room I can use for that, but it only has one story of bay windows, and it's partially shaded by a tree outside. The other thing in favor of the north room is I can close the doors and heat it more easily for newborn shoots, and my backdrop could stay up permanently, instead of being in my living room (doesn't look very professional, I suspect). <br>

Does anyone have advice on this? It seems somehow a waste to ignore all that light in my living room and stay in a small room with smaller windows, but maybe that is the better way to go. Or do I put my backdrop up against the southern windows and use reflectors to get the light back onto my subject? Thank you for any thoughts.</p><div>00e7iI-565187784.jpg.8536359e8e414d2a062d0eff5aa69fbe.jpg</div>

Hi, it's tough dealing with constantly changing light, which is what you'll probably have with the south-facing windows. Although you could

use sheer white drapes to diffuse the light, anytime clouds come and go both the exposure and color of the light will change.

Are you planning to shoot with available light? It's definitely doable, but the need to always be aware of the lighting condition uses up some

of your concentration. I wouldn't mind working this way for a limited amount of shooting, but for any serious amount of work I'd want to be

using studio flash. (I've spent most of my adult life working with this sort of thing.)

With studio flash, you want to use it to overpower the ambient light so you would probably want to darken the room. If you go this route, then there's no benefit from all the large windows, so... it just depends on what you feel like doing.

<p>Thanks for the tips, Bill! I'm trying to avoid flash for now because I don't want to use it with the babies (I know there are various opinions on this, but it's my personal preference). I have been considering the sheer white drapes, I think I will add those either way. <br>

And Michael, one reason is that this is a real estate listing photo with gorgeously staged furniture and decor - my actual hodgepodge of belongings doesn't look nearly so good :) Also, my clients who request lifestyle photos tend to want them in their own homes or at a park. I have not had anyone come to my home studio who wanted lifestyle images yet. But I've only been in business a year, so who knows! Thank you for the response.</p>

<p>Fine Art Painters work with north light. In Northern hemisphere, it doesn't have the sun directly in the sky, and offers the longest consistent level of light and color temperature ... if the window is higher and not blocked or shaded.</p>

<p>Working with available light for scheduled commercial portraits is a difficult plan. Weather, seasons, time of day can interfere with appointments. Been there, done that.</p>

<p>To optimize available light, consider getting a set of larger reflectors ... the folding type would help when dealing with space issues.</p>

<p>Eventually, you probably will need to get into lighting.</p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>

<p>All I have is strong and inconsistent southern light. While all I attempt are head shots and some product shots, I find that Marc's advice is spot on-large reflectors to even things out, with an occasional gold one to warm things up in the middle of a summer day. The light is more direct in winter, but more variable (I'm in north Idaho) and less dependable and more short lived. </p>