35mm film

yesmine_h

I don't really want to change the camera by adding anything, ex rolleikin or equivalent, but I want to use 35mm film. Is that possible/ok?

im new to medium format so I'm hoping for some explanation on how/if it would mess it up. I have a rolleicord too not a Rolleiflex, if that

changes anything.

<p>Just to remind you that a Rollei with a Rolleikin will really only take portrait (vertical) format pictures and that the focal length of 75 or 80 mm is not going to be ideal for general photography. The Rolleikin was really aimed at portrait photographers at the "Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" end of the market, such as those photographing every child in a school, etc.</p>

<p>To shoot 35 in your Rollei you would need to find a way to allow for the narrow width of the film, to hold the 35mm cartridge, to wind it up properly on the takeup spool, to align everything, to allow for the lack of paper backing (which affects the thickness of the film and how the pressure plate works) and the frame counter. You could spend a lot of time trying to improvise that and run the risk of damaging your camera if you're not an expert camera technician. Or you could buy the Rolleikin, which does all of the above and is available cheap.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You cannot use 35mm film in a medium format camera without some form of modification.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh yes you can!<br>

It's quite easy to DIY this, at least for certain cameras. I described and photographed what I did to shoot 35mm film, in an <em>unmodified</em> Mamiya Press back, <a href="/medium-format-photography-forum/00V0ri?start=10">in this thread.</a> And it turned out that I wasn't the only one doing such things.<br>

<br />Whether there's any point in doing so is the other question. I just wanted to shoot an ISO 800 emulsion which wasn't available in 120 or 220 format. That is probably the only circumstance where it makes sense.</p>

• 3 weeks later...