international photography

<p>All of us who post photos here on photo.net can expect them to be seen internationally. I think of "international photographers" as those whose fame crosses national borders, or those who shoot professionally in multiple nations. I have photographed in many countries, but that was travel photography. I recently saw a presentation in the U.S. by Sebastiao Salgado (from Brazil) and he's the quintessential international photographer, but there are many who are less famous who nevertheless qualify.</p>

<p>The term "international photographer" doesn't really tell me much. "Internationally known photographer" is more precise, along with "internationally published photographer" and "photographer who shoots internationally." In any case, I don't think having a photo posted on Instagram makes you an "international photographer" any more than a post on Facebook makes you an "international author."</p>

I'm in Amsterdam on my way home from Turkey. In the past year I've shot I Japan, India, and throughout Europe. And

guess what, I would never use the term 'International Photographer' in any of my branding. The reason is because it

instantly indicates you are a poser. The only people who use this term are those who, like you, posted something online,

or went on vacation and took some snap shots. Nobody who matters takes the term seriously and most people with any

experience chuckle and shake their head we they see it. If you are serious about the business of photography focus on

what you can do for clients, how you are truly different from your competition, and forget cheap, easy, and ultimately

meaningless terms like 'international photographer.'

<p>Thanks everyone for the great replays. As you all say, nowadays no one really gives a damm they may think you’re a poser, as long as you can take great photos.<br>

I was asked this question a few weeks ago. Myself I’ve been a photographer for 45 years semi and pro, have a City + Guilds 9231 passed with distinction, now retired but I’m not putting the camera down. ( its these new kids with their digital cameras, they don’t know what film is). Thanks once again. </p>