Leica M/LTM + Jupiter 12 lens?

dhbebb

<p>Does anyone know for sure that the combination of a Leica M/LTM + 35mm Jupiter 12 lens works OK, with sufficient clearance between the protruding bulbous rear element and the camera interior? I have just found out that an appropriate adapter is available very cheap, so though I would try it out. My Jupiters are Contax/Kiev fitting. they fit to the camera via the external bayonet, any adapter does not need to focus, since the lens has its own helical focusing mount. My Leicas are M2, M4, IIIf and IIIg.</p>

<p>The bayonet still needs to focus, since it's the focusing helical that is coupled to the RF roller in the camera. There's another helical in the lens, which mates mechanically with the one in the camera (adapter in your case), which is how it tells the rangefinder what distance it is focused at.<br>

(Zeiss had to use this rotational coupling for the rangefinder since Leitz's much simpler scheme was carefully patented.)<br>

The Contax to LTM adapters without helical are <strong>only</strong> useful on mirrorless digital cameras. Say a Sony 7s.<br>

The Contax to LTM adapter with helical is more expensive than an LTM Jupiter 12.</p>

You should be fine with the cameras mentioned.

For some cameras- such as Canon 7, Canon P, (Maybe) the VI series and Leica digital, It depends on the exact type of the J-12. I've seen models with the metal collar around the rear group interfere with the light

baffles of some cameras- but NOT my M3 or Barnack cameras; I use a 1952 KMZ J-12 native LTM mount with an M9 and M8 without problem. The glass is Zeiss, with Zeiss SN's on mine.

The adapter needs to incorporate the RF coupling, as is done by the Amedeo adapters. The lens couples with the RF

coupling mechanism built into the adapter, turning the lens drives the RF cam. Other adapters are available that leave out

the coupling, are very cheap. Be sure you know what type you are buying. My J-12 was $65 inclusive of shipping. I had to

add a 0.2mm shim to correct the focus on the Leica.

<p>Thanks for your responses, guys. My position is that, as a long-time Leica user, I bought some post-war Contaxes and Kiev camera to see what they were like and to try to understand why the Zeiss Contax, with theoretical superiority in terms of integrated viewfinder/rangefinder and longer rangefinder base, was so comprehensively beaten by the Leica. I also wanted to find out how viable Contaxes are for everyday use. My conclusion is that I do not feel much desire to use them in this way - the most attractive Contax components I have are an f2 and f1.5 50mm Sonnar, which I am using on a Leica via a full-feature adapter - this adapter was cost-effective in the sense that the adapter plus Sonnar cost less than a Leitz Summicron. The problem is what to do with the rest of the kit. On re-examining the cameras, I was reminded of what I had forgotten, namely that a Jupiter 12 in Kiev fit will ONLY fit a Kiev, not a post-war Contax. Even with a Kiev, it's far from plain sailing - I find that even with the lens focus scale and body focus scale both set to infinity. it is vital to work slowly and carefully to attach a Jupiter 12, even then it sometimes jams and needs to be taken off and re-fitted.<br>

The remark that Jupiter 12 lenses are available in LTM fit for less than the cost of the adapter is a very pertinent one - so much easier to fit to and remove from the camera, too!<br>

Once again, thanks to all for their contributions!</p>