Canon AE-1 Mirror not going down

<p>The problem is common for this camera - dried lubricants have an effect on the functionality of the mirror box. It needs service, and for someone that is reasonable I would say $60-70 USD should take care of the problem. Another issue could be the mirror bumper which deteriorates and turns into a messy goo. Hope you get it fixed as it is a nice camera.</p>

<p>Find the best documentation you can (unfortunately that appears to be scans of a bad photocopy of magazine article, not a repair manual) and maybe look at some youtube videos. Keep in mind that the AE-1 and AE-1 Program are completely different cameras with different construction internally. Watch out for the thin wire that mechanically links the knobs on the top and leave those knobs in known position as you disassemble or you're hosed.</p>

<p>I managed to screw that up that tungsten wire.When i was disassembling the camera for some reason, i made the tungsten wire come out of the place in the film winder.Then I started to route the wire through the knob on the left, through the pulleys and the winder thingy and i fixed it, even though i still didnt have any hope for the camera to work because im a 12 year old probably overlooked many things to fix but hey it worked.Now i</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"press the shutter button the mirror just goes up and stays there" <em><strong>Uzer N.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is an electronic problem. We <strong>used to replace</strong> one of the three main IC chips on the flex in order to correct this symptom.<br>

It's now considered uneconomical to perform chip replacement; replacement <strong>bodies</strong> are a <em>Dime a Dozen</em>...</p>