Accounting software for wedding photographer

<p>I run a wedding photography business and am currently using QuickBooks Online to do my accounting. I'm not the biggest fan of it at the moment because it's pretty difficult for me to learn even the basics. Is there a simpler alternative that you guys are using? Any help will be appreciated.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Is there a simpler alternative that you guys are using?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How big is your business? Big enough to employ someone for four days per year?</p>

<p>Especially if you don't personally file your tax returns anyway, (i.e. if you use an accountant or tax agent to do that) then it would be worthwhile considering outsourcing the bookkeeping to someone who is expert in that field.</p>

<p>We had a book-keeper come in each three months and work for one day, that was really efficient, she sent all the collated accounting files to our Tax Agent (we reported quarterly) and it was all done. All we needed to do was record all our expenses. I did that in my diary and allocated one credit card for all purchases so I could use the statement of that account for my records. My company partner kept a paper file of receipts, mainly because she was responsible for buying smaller items many of which were for cash. The monies coming in were simple to account, that was just reading from the bank deposits: each had a job name. </p>

<p>I think that working smart is often outsourcing the unnecessary time wasting items of business that consume the valuable time and inhibit the real money making processes.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>How are you doing your billings? Doing that in a way that produces an invoice and an accounting record at the same time is key. Keeping a bank account manually is easy and then, like William says, you can pay someone to sum it all up once a quarter.</p>

<p>I'm an accountant and a typical sole practitioner photographer would take only a few hours per quarter, IF he kept good billing records and a clean checkbook. (Using a computerized disbursement system could be a bonus, but the check volume is usually low enough that this is not a big deal. It could be a minus if the photographer screwed it up). </p>

<p>The business I run is very small, it is just me, my partner, and one other employee. Hiring a bookkeeper is a good idea, but I don’t think we have enough expenses at the moment for one. QuickBooks is definitely the one of the more popular ones; however, I’m also considering finding another option that is not only simpler, but also free. A few of my colleagues have mentioned a software called SlickPie. From my research it seems like they are a fairly new company, so I was wondering if anyone currently uses it or has past experience. Thank you all for the help</p>