Mamiyaflex II Question

Dan Deary

<p>Acquired another TLR, a Mamiyaflex II that cosmetically is in poor condition with multiple dents, paper thin leatherette coming off and lots of paint scratches. It all seems to work though. According to my research it came out in 1952 predating the C2 series. I did need to adjust focus the two lenses so they were in sync. It was full of dust and what I like about most TLRs is that it is easy to remove the folding hood to clean the mirror and its innards. It has 9 shutter speeds up to 300th sec plus B. It is self cocking and after loading film to #1 in the red window the film winding is automatic. It has a self timer but I'm reluctant to try it with the age of this camera. The shutter says Setagaya Koki MERIT and seems to be reasonably accurate.<br>

The focus is by front gearing common on TLRs of this era; the surprise is that it only takes a quarter turn to go from 3.5 ft to infinity. The lens is a mystery to me. It is a Setagaya Koki Sekor 1:3.5 F=7.5cm. What I cannot find out on the internet is whether this is a 3 element or a better 4 element lens. My guess is that it is a 3 element. Does anyone know? I will put some film through it soon but I think this will be a keeper.</p><div>00e8vS-565413284.jpg.c6aea0eb6b1d55c29dc71e9f9ebf0702.jpg</div>

Dan Deary

<p><strong>Daniel</strong>, I have a note relating to the early Mamiya Six cameras which also used this Setagaya Koki Sekor 75mm f/3.5 lens, in which it's describes as having 4 elements in 3 groups, a Tessar-type, I guess. The early Mamiya TLRs and the Mamiya Six both used a mixture of Sekor and Olympus Zuiko lenses, which were apparently considered superior. Sorry I can't be more definitive regarding the Mamiyaflex.</p>

<p>Thanks Rick. Having never seen a Mamiya Six, I looked up some info and the focusing on that camera is by moving the film plane. Since the lens on the TLR is by focusing by rotating the front element, I wonder if the four element design is still in play. I do have a Super Ikonta with a Tessar lens that has a rotating front element so I guess it can be done.</p>
Dan Deary

• 1 month later...

<p>I too just acquired one of these. It's my first TLR (only 20 bucks). It's biggest problem is the shutter speeds are all off below the 1/50. I'd be interested to see your test shots. I should be getting back my first test roll tomorrow. <br>

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, I'm also scouring the internet for info on this guy!</p>