Tripod/Monopod for 200-500mm with D7100 set up

sri_b

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder about gimbal type heads</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have one - not very convenient to use with a zoom lens though. One can only balance the combo at one zoom setting - every time one moves to a different zoom position, the lens/camera combo becomes unbalanced again and needs to be re-balanced; gets old rather quickly. Tried to shoot at an air show some weeks ago and gave up in frustration. Learned that I need to get a leveling base - it's just too much work to level the tripod every time one moves it.</p>

<p>Like Shun, I tend to use the 200-500 mostly hand held - I have a Manfrotto monopod somewhere but can't remember the last time I actually used it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I tend to use the 200-500 mostly hand held - I have a Manfrotto monopod somewhere but can't remember the last time I actually used it</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I also shot my 300/2.8 sometimes hand held, but not for 2 or 3 hours as needed in sport.</p>

<p>Really Right Stuff makes two heads specifically for monopods, on which I would suggest for the 200-500 is the heavy duty version.</p>

<p>In general, you only want one axis of rotation, azimuth (front to back). If you try to get fancy, a ball head for example, there are an infinite number of ways you can level (or mis-level) the camera, and it takes two hands and a knee to keep things straight. With a simple head, you let the monopod establish the horizontal level. Mind that a monopod stabilizes on only three axes - azimuth, tilt and vertical. Lateral, fore and aft, and especially yaw are relatively unrestrained. Of course it supports the weight of the camera and lens, which is why they are so popular for sports.</p>

<p>I own two or three monopods, which have been collecting dust for 15 years or so. A Gitzo GT3541 tripod* is my go-to support device. It's not used as much since entering the Sony/IBIS era, but always with me or in the car. In a pinch, I can extend only one leg and use it as a monopod. I've done this at graduations and school concerts, when shooting from my seat in the audience. You can make three legs act as one, but you can't make one leg into three.</p>

<p>* Basically the same as recommended by Shun, but 4 sections instead of 3.</p>

• 3 weeks later...