PS channels - can they be used for frequency separation, dodging/burning etc.?

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I've been using PS for a long time (I use the current CC now) but I've always stuck to the basics. I have never delved into channels very much.</p>

<p>My question is (I think lol!) is it possible to open an image (RGB) and create 3 layers that represent the 3 channels (value-wise), and work on those channel-layers individually, then combine them to form a final layer?</p>

<p>Another question, I've noticed when I have blown-out highs, usually they are on one channel only. Is it possible to replace this channel with one of the better-exposed ones, and keep the original colours, i.e. keep it a traditional colour image but with those 1-channel values removed/replaced?</p>

<p>Merci, as always,<br>

Shawn</p>

Re replacing a single blown channel with the contents of the other two channels, my understanding is that this is exactly

what the "highlights recovery" slider in ACR used to do when it was first introduced several versions ago. My

understanding is that this functionality was then incorporated into the tonality sliders in ACR to provide a more seamless

experience. Some of the other raw converters also provide the same functionality.

Tom M