Need help fast

thor_crain

<p>I am using my Canon 5D mk 1, as my 5Ds was stolen. I have had this camera since they came out, never any issues. The last few days, it has been taking over and under exposed shots. The settings stay exactly the same, and a couple shots will be good, then 2 or 3 completely white, then a good one, then a completely black shot. Tonight it went to every other shot being blacked out. No change in settings, no bracketing on. Was shooting a sunset, with settings of asa 100, f18, 1/8 sec. A couple were perfect, then the black every other exposure. Any ideas? Please help if you have had this happen, or know of it happening. The lens selection doesn't change this. Tried using a 24-70, 16-35, and a 70-200. All 2.8L series glass. I have 4 shoots scheduled in the next 3 days, and can't afford to just go buy another body. Thank you for any help!!</p>

If you have 4 shoots and someone is paying, you need a camera. I would be renting or borrowing asap if you can't buy

one outright. Not sure where you are but in the USA Lensrental.com would be my go to place.

For you current camera what can you do? Change cards. Turn off... back on. Try a different battery. Even if it starts

working properly can you depend on it? Your main camera is gone and your backup is malfunctioning.

The help you need is renting or borrowing a camera.

Richard

<p>Have you changed the backup (a.k.a. date) battery in the last few years? If not, try changing it. When that battery goes, it can make the camera act out in unexpected ways. Here's a description from Canon: <a href="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/batteries/care_of_batteries.do">http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/batteries/care_of_batteries.do </a><br>

It may also help to gently clean the aperture contacts with an eraser.<br>

If neither helps, a trip to a Canon repair center is in order.</p>

<p>I would also suggest changing the backup battery, as well as reinstalling the FW. Why? Cause it's little to no cost, and it's easy, and can be done in under an hour.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> Was shooting a sunset, with settings of asa 100, f18, 1/8 sec. A couple were perfect, then the black every other exposure. Any ideas?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When you say 'black', and 'white', do you mean RGB values of 0,0,0 across the field (black), and values of 256,256,256 (white)? Or do you mean very very underexposed, and/or very very over exposed? Do the actual shot values (ss, f stop, iso) change? <br>

</p>