Prakticamat issue

<p>Just got a Prakticamat I bought some time ago off the shelf and noticed an odd fault.</p>

<p>There is nothing to stop you winding the entire film through by repeatedly operating the wind on lever - it never locks. I had not noticed this before because if you just wind on once, the shutter cocks fine and it fires at all speeds ok - only if you wind on more then once (and who does?) is the fault an issue.</p>

<p>Any ideas anyone? - I am not going to rip apart a camera that is basically working to correct an obscure fault if I can help it, but it would be nice to know. If it was a Praktica Nova or a Super TL I would be less worried but taking the top off a 'Mat looks more of an issue with the shutter speed dial positioned around the rewind crank.</p>

<p>Thanks for any suggestions,</p>

<p>Nick.</p>

<p>Hi <strong>Nick</strong>! I would simply use it as is. It is a well designed camera and makes good pictures. It is possible that the locking mechanism has slipped out of gear or rachet. It has a good shutter too.<br>

Just make sure that you hold the shutter button down until the exposure is fully completed, especially if you are using an auto diaphragm. In Prakticas of that age If you release the pressure on the shutter button the lever that keeps the aperture in position will also retract.<br>

You may not notice this at higher speeds. But try a few dry runs at slower speeds it will open the aperture ahead of time and you will be able to notice the same. If you are lucky, your sample may not do this. Best. sp</p>

<p>In your case, the double-wind lock does not work. Usually there is a mechanical catch which blocks the wind lever after one cycle. I had a similar issue with a rangefinder camera. In my case, it was a broken or dislocated spring which I had to replace. <br>

On many cameras, this catch can be found under the bottom plate. Remove it (usually there are no parts falling off except for the cap of the rewind button) and check the parts which move when you actuate the wind lever. One of the rotating parts should have a notch which should be locked by a spring-loaded lever. (This lever is pushed back when pressing the shutter release, thus enabling winding after one shot.)</p>