Cannot cock shutter...film winding crank stuck?

will_a.

<p>Hi there. I took two shots on a Bronica SQ-B that my friend leant me and everything went fine (except that the film advance crank only cocks the shutter but doesn't advance the film, but this is an issue for another day). After the third shot the mirror locked-up and now I cannot cock the shutter. </p>

<p>Any ideas what might be wrong or how i can fix this?</p>

<p>By the way, I was able to advance the film to the next shot manually using the manual film winder on the film back (which I did for my first 2 shots and what my friend who owns the camera has always done). I cannot actuate the shutter nor can I cock it but the film advance crank will move freely in the opposite direction. </p>

<p>The problem winding the film is probably related to the failure to release.</p>

<p>The crank on the back is intended to take up the slack in the film and present the first frame for exposure. From that point on, the main crank sets the mirror and winds the film, at least when it's working properly. The attached article says the back should be made ready to go and the camera should be cocked and ready, before the back is attached to the body.</p>

<p>Start by inserting the darkslide and removing the back, in order to see if the body is working correctly and fully cocked. You can't release the shutter with the darkslide inserted, but the body should be fully operational with the back removed.</p>

<p>As a last resort, try to find a manual and learn how to operate the camera. MF cameras are not always intuitive.</p>

<p>http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Bronica_SQ</p>

<p>As I said, everything was working except for that the film advance crank did not advance the film, it only cocks the shutter--an existing problem with the camera that has been successfully dealt with in the past by manually advancing the film with the dial on the film back.. My first three frames were shot this way and it seemed to work when testing the camera out without film.</p>

<p>Unfortunately my friend who leant me this camera did not have a dark slide so I can't take off the film back without exposing my film, which I would do as a last resort but would rather not. And yes, I have indeed familiarized myself with the manual. </p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately my friend who leant me this camera did not have a dark slide so I can't take off the film back without exposing my film</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You'd only be exposing one frame. But if I recall from using the ETRS, you cannot remove the back without inserting the dark slide.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Thanks for your responses, Edward and Henry. Problem solved!</p>

<p>I tried to take remove the film back--no luck. Couldn't get the lens off either. BUT, when I undid the insert from the film back something clicked and now the film crank works! Also, it is synced to the body now and advances the film as well! </p>

<p>Thank you guys for your help! I went into panic-mode when everything locked up but now it all seems to be fine. </p>