Foggy viewfinder from air conditioning? - Yashica 124g

joshua_holz1

<p>I left a Yashica 124g on my desk, in an AC'd room, overnight. Today I took it outdoors in the summer heat, without thinking, from the air conditioned room. The front of the lenses fogged up, predictably, but they were fine after cleaning.<br>

However, the viewfinder is still foggy after a few hours. Could this be due to the air conditioning/sudden temp change after taking the camera outdoors? I know subjecting a camera to a temp change is never a good idea, but the Yashica seems to be taking it particularly poorly. I'm wondering if it could be due to the internal construction of the camera.</p>

<p>You can snap the viewfinder section and lens out if you want, there is probably some condensation on the mirror itself, and since things are pretty well sealed it may take a while for moisture to evaporate. BTW I don't suggest the route I mentioned, but I did replace a mirror in one I had years ago. A better choice is to, as you know, gradually let equilibrium be reached, and only go the other route if a thorough cleaning is needed..</p>

<p>Leave it alone and it will be fine. In fact, it's probably already dried out since you posted your message. Definitely do not take anyting apart.<br /><br />What happened is very common, and it happens in both the winter and summer. In the winter, it happens when you come in from the cold into a warm or humid environment. Classic example is having your camera maybe in the trunk of the car, then coming into a heated basketball gym filled with sweaty players.<br /><br />Many years ago I was shooting with my 124G in the snow and a couple of flakes melted when I came inside and got between the groundglass and the fresnel lens. I made the mistake of taking it apart to dry it instead of being patient. Was easy to take apart but took forever to get back together. And I never did get the pop up part of the hood right. To this day, I use a piece of gaffer tape to hold the hood up.<br /><br /><br /><br /></p>