OT: photographers book/site recommendations

hyatt_lee

Hey all,

I wanted to note a few photographers whose work I enjoy and was wondering if anyone could recommend others (based on my list). I prefer documentary, journalism, war, street and portraits. I need to qualify the last genre as I don't like photo monte',so Leibowitz is not my cup of tea, or any fashion photographer for that matter.

(Shocker, you can recommend someone even if they didn't or don't use Leicas.)

My faves: Bill Brandt, Salgado, McCurry, HCB, Winogrand, Eggleston, Nachtwey, The Ut photo, David Allen Harvey...

As you can see I'm not terribly literate in this field and want to be exposed to more photographers' work.

(And on a stupid note, I just looked at some of McCurry's work and the color (in a book) just blew me away. How do they do this? Do top notch color photogs only use slide film?)

Thanks for any info ...

Hello Hyatt

If you like David Allen Harvey and McCurry's Color work, have a look at the work of William Albert Allard, Alex Webb and Constantine Manos. You'll find Webb and Manos on Magnum's web site (www.magnumarchive.com). Allard is a National Geographic Photographer. Check out their site.

Best regards, Michael

I agree with Walker Evans. I just began reading a biography of him by Mellon (or Mellor).

Robert Frank--"The Americans". An essential of documentary photography. The "On the Road" of photography.

W. Eugene Smith--"Let Truth be the Prejudice" and "Minimata". I no longer own either book and need to replace them.

Edward Weston--"Portraits". Richard Avedon--"Portraits". Man Ray--"Photographs" and "Self Portrait".

I'm sure I could come up with a couple of dozen others given the time to think about it more.

Might I also suggest David Hume Kennerly, he just published a new book: Photo du jour (Or ~'photo a day' for the french neophytes). His autobiography "Shooter" in which he talks about his shooting career is also a good read--leica connection: when he was the personal photographer to the President he used leicas almost exclusively (M3's if I remember correctly).

davebeckerman.com

Mostly b&w New York street photographer, much of his work with M6. Has just started venturing gingerly into color.

His "daybooks", a journal he keeps that documents his escape from the cube world to full-time photography, is compelling reading. Some how-to's and reviews on his site as well.

His work is available for purchase. I own one of his prints and the quality of his work is astonishing.

Joseph Liebling, Michael Crouser and Hiroshi Watanabe.... You can see work by them at www.photoeye.com

Avedon, of course. His collaboration with Truman Capote in "Observations," especially. Also "Photographs: 1947-1977" - beyond fashion.

Sasha Biyan. www.earthpilgrim.com

Edward S. Curtis, a strong influence on Biyan.

Finally, Edward Boubat (sp?), and Gordon Parks.