Hiring Second Shooter/Assistant Pain Points

denis_r

<p>Hi,<br /><br />Just wondering how often do you hire second shooter/assistants and what are the biggest pain points in the process?<br /><br />I'm starting web service where you would be able to hire quality, local, screened second shooters and assistants online at the touch of a button. <br /><br />What do you think about that kind of service, would it be usefull to you?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Denis</p>

<p>Hi Denis,</p>

<p>In my experience, the "pain points" come with making sure the second photographer is:</p>

<p>1) <strong>Technically proficient in a wedding situation</strong>. They might be able to take lovely photos in a less chaotic and more controlled environment, but weddings are their own specific animal. I have had to correct poor technical decisions second shooters have made and even not use some of their images because of technical problems.<br>

2) <strong>Able to approach the client and guests in a similar manner to yours.</strong> I have had situations where someone did not get a chance to work with me because of their personality, approach, and/or attitude. For my own studio, customer service is a huge priority, as is professionalism. I would be hesitant to use such a service if I did not have the chance to interview the photographer prior to having them represent my studio at a wedding.<strong><br /></strong><br>

3) <strong>Dependable. </strong>I have had to replace a second shooter at the last possible moment because they "flaked" in one case, or decided the day before that they didn't want to travel so far for the wedding. Obviously those people burned a bridge with me.<br>

4) <strong>Properly Equipped. </strong>I don't think someone eeking their way into the business with a single low-end DSLR and one kit lens is adequately prepared for weddings. I have had that happen, where people have actually lied to me about their equipment list or simply chose not to bring it, and I ended up having to lend them my backup equipment in order for them to do their job.</p>

<p>Other things to think about include:</p>

<ul>

<li>Whether your service will provide liability/worker's comp insurance for these photographers or if they are to provide this on their own. Different areas might have different laws about this.</li>

<li>Providing different levels of expertise for different price points. I would be willing to pay more to know I was getting someone with more experience and talent, that I don't have to hand-hold</li>

<li>How far in advance will someone be able to be booked? If I have worked with a shooter before and like working with them, would there be a limit on how soon they could be booked? Would priority be given to photographers who have worked with those second shooters before? I'm not sure how that could be facilitated, but it's worth asking.</li>

<li>What will be the arrangement with regard to copyright of the images? Different studios might have different rules about how a second photographer's images might be used.</li>

</ul>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm starting web service where you would be <strong>able to hire</strong> quality, <strong>local</strong>, <strong>screened</strong> second shooters and assistants online <strong>at the touch of a button. </strong> What do you think about that kind of service, would it be <em>[useful]</em> to you?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The service might be useful for me to make contact and ask them to attend an interview with me: but I would never hire a Second Shooter or an Assistant sight unseen and at a touch of a button: none of my Professional Collegiate would either.</p>

<p>On the other hand, ALL the Second Shooters and Assistants that I have used (and the one I employ now and for the last four/five years), have been very talented and very hungry for <em>on the job experience</em> – and so they have approached me, invited me to coffee, fully loaded with their resume and portfolio . . . and enthusiasm.</p>

<p>A few questions about your proposed service:<br>

1. How is the screening performed?<br>

2. What are the criteria for screening? <br>

3. What are the locations? (i.e. it will be a very VERY big list, even if it is limited to only the major cities, worldwide.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>I subscribe to two excellent Facebook groups (I am UK based) and even in emergencies am able to get a host of people posting their links each time I've had to advertise. My advice is to look on your local second shooters and and pro photo communities in Facebook.</p>