Best way to carry the 80-400

didier

<p>Dear all,<br>

for my trip to Namibia & Bostwana, I will take a monopod (Gitzo carbon) + Manfrotto ball-head (200PL quick-release). I am also looking for a way to carry my camera+lens when on foot (we'll be doing some safaris on foot in Bostwana) : I am thinking about a strap such as BlackRapid or SunSniper or ??<br>

Are those straps reliable to be fixed at the 80-400 ?<br>

<br />Which one do you recommend, and why ?<br>

Is it possible to have the strap fixed ad the QR system ?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Didier</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For the 80-400 and 200-500, I use a Kirk Enterprise SS-1 Security Strap: <br /> <a href="https://www.kirkphoto.com/kirk-security-strap.html">https://www.kirkphoto.com/kirk-security-strap.html</a> <br /> Not sure that is available in Europe, but I would imagine that there are similar products.</p>

<p>Neither the 80-400mm AF-S nor 200-500mm AF-S has any eyelet to put a strap on. The 80-400 is roughly the same size as a 70-200mm/f2.8, and I am still comfortable to use any strap on the body and let the lens mount to sustain the weight of the lens. The 200-500 is simply too heavy for me to comfortably depend on the lens mount to support that much weight.</p>

<p>The Kirk SS-1 has an Arca-Swiss style cramp to fix onto the quick-release plate on the tripod collar. Its strap is ok but not of particularly high quality. I am happy to use the SS-1 strap with either the 80-400 or 200-500, and the center of gravity is below my shoulder such that it balances quite well. However, a 500mm/f4 is probably too heavy for it.</p><div>00e48k-564532484.jpg.0da71ff4f41990bd9c82f35b2861f71f.jpg</div>

<p>The fundamental choice is limited to only 2 options. In option 1, you hang the whole assembly by connecting the support to the camera body, which means the weight of the lens is being held by the camera-to-lens mount. This is true whether you attach a neck strap to the lugs on the camera body or attach a more specialized strap to the tripod socket on the bottom of the body or use a Cotton Carrier-type attachment to the camera body - either way, the weight of the lens causes some degree of strain on the lens mount. In option 2, attaching to the tripod mount on the lens - the collar - means that the lens is suspended and the weight of the body provides the strain on the lens mount. I'm not aware of a Cotton Carrier-type system that relies on the lens collar mount being used to attach the rig to the carrier.</p>

<p>Either way, unless you have a way to support both the lens and the body, there will be strain on the lens mount. If the lens is heavier than the body, the rig will be better off if the support is attached to the lens. Of course, how much the rig bounces around while walking is also a major factor in the total strain on the lens mount. I think that's the major benefit of the Cotton Carrier and similar systems.</p>

<p>Looking at the Cotton Carrier more closely, and with memories of my college physics classes, it look likes a long lens & camera is held in the "y" plane. I.e., the lens is pointed straight down parallel to the force of gravity. The lens mount is being more or less evenly stressed and simply has to hold the lens on. If you have a holder less secure, the lens will be able to swing more into the "x" plane, horizontal to gravity. This would introduce torque to the lens mount, i.e. uneven pressure. It would also be an accelerating force as the lens swings and bounces around. All of this is theoretical, of course.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Like Barry, a lot of times I have a big lens on a tripod. The 80-400 is on a second body to capture, e.g., a flying bird that appear suddenly. Having the 80-400 in a carrier harness doesn't make sense for me and will get in the way when I use the bigger lens.</p>

<p>A strap such as the Kirk is simpler. It is not that different from using the regular camera strap, except that it is connected to the tripod collar instead of the body. I can see the BlackRapid system can work very well also and is more secure. We are talking about walking safaris, not jogging or running with the camera. I don't see the camera banging around as an issue at all. (I did walking safari in Botswana with that setup.)</p>

<p>The Thinktank Digital Holster 30 case holds the 80-400 with the hood in shooting position with a D500 camera. They also make a larger model for bigger cameras or cameras with add-on grips. Never been to Africa but I like a case that zips closed for hiking in hot and/or dusty places. I've used this case extensively hiking in the Appalachian mountains and in the Southwestern US and it's worked well for me. </p><div>00e4GV-564547484.JPG.25acbfabb5af720eb67683094bca6564.JPG</div>

<p>I use a Sun Sniper strap, cross shoulder, with a 70-200/2.8, placing the camera about hip level on my weak side. This places very little strain on my lower back. At that position, the camera doesn't swing or bounce much when I walk. The lens is pointed mostly downward, which places little sideways strain on the lens mount. When I bring the camera up, I grasp the lens.</p>

<p>An holster case is probably a good way to protect the lens and camera from dust and collisions. A cross-shoulder strap is still the best option. A chest harness gets very uncomfortable in hot weather or if you are walking a long way.</p>

<p>Shun - I owned a Kirk strap like you have for some time and used it to carry a 300/2.8. but when the BR sling strap became my favorite method to carry other gear with a strap, I simply bought a RRS clamp and screwed the BR stud into the RRS clamp and voila, instant QR version of BR.</p>

<p>I use this QR modified strap on occasion with other lens/body combos if I will be connecting and disconnecting it often. After all is said and done though, why wouldn't the OP just screw a BR strap (without the QR clamp) into the tripod mount on the 80-400 lens? If I am not disconnecting often, that is what I do. </p>

<p>So far I am quite happy with using just a strap because it is simple, and it also works well with the 80-400 when I have an additional super tele on a tripod. However, I'll look into the Black Rapid option. I have seen people hike with two camera bodies using that system, e.g. one 80-400 or 150-600 type long zoom and another 24-70 type mid zoom for landscape. I tend to use just one body and change lenses.</p>

<p>I prefer the basic BR Curve<br /> http://www.blackrapid.com/products/curve</p>

<p>And this is the RRS clamp that I like if I know I will be connecting/disconnecting the strap often</p>

<p>http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-mAS-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-1-4-20-screw</p>

<p>If you are concerned about weight on the lightweight clamp, there is this one, but I use the above clamp with the 400/2.8 without worry http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-Pro-II-Screw-knob-clamp-with-M6-screw</p>

<p>And one last point - I do NOT use the lever clamps by RRS for any application. I know plenty of my contemporaries swear by the lever release clamps, but there is no way anyone will ever convince me that the screw in clamp is not more secure than a lever. I know there are all sorts of built in safeties with the RRS lever clamp, but I choose to heed the advice I got from the RRS founder Brian Gayer who once told me RRS would never offer a lever due to possibility of the stretching of the necessary spring in a lever. Bryan retired many years ago and RRS is now run by his son-in-law Joe who is great and has expanded the provincial company Bryan ran (no credit cards were accepted) into the amazing full service entity it now is under Joe's care and I am sure Joe has developed a spring that will not stretch and a lever that will not get snagged accidentally, but to my mind, I like the feel of tightening a physical clamp screw.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Eric. I'll look further into the Black Rapid line of products.</p>

<p>I didn't realize that Brian Gayer was at retirement age. Back in the 1990's, I used to talk to him over the phone and sent him checks from the East Coast. His business model of never accepting credit cards was totally out of date and wouldn't have survived today. Therefore, I am glad that the current owner Joe Johnson has modernized and expanded the whole company.</p>

<p>Back in 2007, I bought the RRS BH-55 ballhead with the lever clamp. Back then a friend of mine opted for the screw-clamp version because he was concerned that the spring in the lever clamp may snap and if so, the entire load would fall to the ground. Perhaps I am fortunate; fast forward 9 years, my BH-55 is still working fine without a hitch, but it maybe time to update it. The main advantage for the lever clamp is much faster operation.</p>

<p>No argument that the lever is faster, but I have never lost a shot from the delay of turning a big knob. That said - my guess is that RRS sells 10 levers for every knob clamp. Might even be more. I am just old and cranky. I went kicking and screaming from film to digital and I was 20 years younger then.</p>