CV 25: is non-rangefinder coupling a problem?

andrew_lee2

Quick question for folks who use or have used the Cosina Voigtlander

25mm lens: do you or did you find the non-rangefinder coupling of

the lens to be a problem? I realise that guess-focusing takes care

of most shots. However I'd imagine it would be difficult or

frustrating in certain situations not to have precise focusing -

shooting up close and wide open, for example. Thanks for the input.

Regards-

"I realise that guess-focusing takes care of most shots. However I'd imagine it would be difficult or frustrating in certain situations not to have precise focusing - shooting up close and wide open, for example."

I think instead of guess focusing you mean scale focusing. The rest of your statement is correct.

Andrew,

No problem at all for me, even wide open f/4 this lens has

sufficient DoF. For the closer shots, I use some tricks,

eg. I know that if i stretch my arm, the distance from my

face-fingertips is 0.7 m (=minimum focus distance of this lens).

-see pic of my brother-

If the subject is sligthly fruther I use 1m or 1.5m .

Most shots however, are done at hyperfocal setting.

Joop<div>004R1o-11154684.jpg.3cfae019bbb687baff73ad2ee777983c.jpg</div>

At f/8, a typical 24mm lens offers DOF from 4 feet to infinity. At f/4 it's 7 feet to infinity. In other words, DOF is so great that you don't need to focus very much to keep subjects in focus. For street photography you can set focus and forget about it.

No, the VC 25/4 isn't a problem because I use it in situations where it is no a problem.

But I dearly wish that Cosina would make an RF coupled 25/4 with a better finder. I'm almost ready to start a Contax / Nikon system just to use the SC 24/4 with its bright line finder.

There are times I look longingly at Leica's 24/2.8. I've got the 24mm bright line external finder. Hmmm.

I have no problem with the CV-25mm on my M4-P. With the wide depth of field, scale focusing is easy. It also helps that I have been using a Rollei 35, and various Minox subminiature cameras for years, all of which are guess focus. I also do not bother with the aux. viewfinder, I just assume everything I can see in the .72 viewfinder window is what I will get, and it seems to come out OK. Also the lens has click stops on the focus, this is a really neat feature!

This is a real sharp lens, and it takes up very little space. If I had to make the decision again, I would purchase another one just like it.