Replacing Vagabond II Battery

peter_j2

<p>While waiting for Paul C. Buff to return my email inquiry from yesterday, I will ask here.<br /><br />Will the Paul C. Buff Vagabond II's charger be able to recharge a Lithium-ion battery? Their B20A stock battery is a 20Ah, 12 V Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) unit. An aftermarket Lithium-Ion (LiFePo4) battery which is smaller in dimensions is also a 20 Ah, 12 V unit at approximately 4 times the price more.<br /><br />For a comparison in technologies, I have the Profoto Acute B2 600 AirS/R and their 1.0 A charger is able to recharge their 5.0 Ah, 13.2 Volt LiFePo4 battery as it is also able to recharge their original 5.0 Ah, 12 V SLA battery.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br /></p>

<p>charging lithium is very different from charging lead. I'm going to guess that if PCB *doesn't* offer a LiFe battery then their charger wont properly do it either to say nothing of the lack of cell balancing which is always a good ting. I would STRONGLY urge you to NOT 'just try it'. It's a great way to burn your house down.</p>

<p>PCB does seem to offer the VLX series and associated charger which *may* be usable.</p>

<p>USING A CHARGER OTHER THAN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNATED FOR THE PARTICULAR BATTERY. Lithium Ion battery chargers provide a specific charging voltage and microprocessor current and voltage control. They are fundamentally different than chargers for SLA, NiCd, NiMH, or other rechargeable batteries. Chargers for LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) batteries (VML) and LiFePO4 batteries (VLX) are not interchangeable, and require different charging voltages.<br /><br /></p>