and carefully dismantling the flash unit. It sudden

stopped working. I saw a bit of battery degrading

and thought a battery had leaked. That did not

happen. As I slowly took the unit apart I noticed

one of the small plastic plug-ins had had come out

of its socket. This is where I'm at. Cannot re- seat

the plug and am wondering how I can get this

issue fixed at a reasonable price

<p>I know nothing about electronics, but I have always heard that tinkering with anything that has a capacitor is a recipe for getting yourself seriously injured. Apparently one has to discharge the capacitor or risk getting badly zapped.</p>

<p>And - it is my understanding that removing the batts beforehand does NOT cure the problem. apparently the capacitor is stores the juice for the next flash. So when a shot is taken, the batts recharge the capacitor and removing the batts does not discharge the saved up power. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>John, not to clear. It stopped working before or during disassembly ? One plug connector came loose ? <br>

You need the Service manual to sort this out. You should have the manual before starting this. Service manual also provides the contact points to drain the capacitor using a 200 to 1k Ohm resistor. You can get a good shock, not kill you type, but a good jolt. Usually what gets you is the 'reaction'. But do not overlook this step and drain the capacitor fully. Measure it with an OHM meter to confirm it is 0Volts or close to.<br>

There are two connectors that can come loose with removal of front cover (E unit). Sort that out is pretty simple as they are keyed. As long as you stay away from (or be carefull with ) the fiber optic light pipe. The usual culprits are CN8, CN16 in the manual.<br>

I took mine apart to replace cover assembly that had cracked.<br>

<cite >elektrotanya.com/<strong>nikon</strong>_<strong>sb</strong>-<strong>800</strong>.pdf/download.html</cite><br>

Marc</p>