Recommended First LF Field Camera

bryan_simpson

I agree that hand shooting with a 4x5 is enjoyable. I did some with my Busch Pressman a number of years ago and more recently with the Crown Graphic. Switching from bulbs to electronic flash did wonders for the image sharpness. (a Vivitar 283 atop a press camera looks a little strange, but works very well) The Busch worked very well as a view camera. It was limited compared to a regular view camera, but, used well, was a fine performer in the field and very compact and lightweight. In my recent posting about photographing the cemetary in snow, my Crown would have done the job as well as either wooden camera. The wooden cameras are strictly tripod cameras. In that function, I find them easier to handle and more versatile. If I had only a Crown or Speed for the rest of my photographic life, I would be quite content and productive, as long as I had my favorite 200M Nikon lens with the camera. I would not miss the LF dance.

A Zone VI camera sold on ebay last night for just over $500. That isn't much more than what a good Crown would cost. Incidentally, I would opt for the Crown over the Speed because it doesn't have the bulk and weight of a focal plane shutter. As a view camera, I think the Busch Pressman is the pick of the press litter. Its small lensboard limits the choice of lenses somewhat, but my 200m, 135w and 105 FujinonW fit fine. I certainly respect the opinions and well reasoned arguments in favor of press cameras. I'll stick with my original recommendation of a Wista or Wisner as the easiest tool for learning the classic view portion of large format work. Part of the discipline of large format work is learning to work deliberately and intensely. This can be done handheld, but a tripod definitely facilitates the process. I find not having to hold the camera allows me to more carefully scrutinize the corners and edges of the groundglass. I have found this careful composing to the corners has benefitted my handheld 35mm work also.

I will note the name of the repairman John mentioned. The Graphics ae often compared with tanks, but even tanks need repair from time to time.