Grand Canyon - North Rim

User_6667263

<p>Frankly, there aren't any bad spots. Have a look at the NPS map of the north rim and plan to get to as many of them as your time will allow.</p>

<p>You don't say if you plan to hike down into the canyon. If you don't, then I suggest you allow time to hike part way down. The perspective change is significant, and will allow you to get images that folks up on the rim won't. There's a rule of thumb that says plan on 2 hours climbing back up for every hour you hike down. That works pretty well for healthy people - for handicapped old goats like me it's more like 3 hours up for each hour down. If you hike, take water - it's a desert all year round. Don't be fooled by the fact that your don't get covered with perspiration - it evaporates as fast as you perspire, and you lose water at a faster rate than you'll experience anywhere else. So take water. And tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back. Carry a cell phone and keep it on - even though you may not have service, it can be used to locate you if necessary (cheap insurance).</p>

<p>If you are after good landscape images, I would stay near the North Rim overnight and try to photograph late in the afternoon or early in the morning, when the angle of the sun is low.</p>

<p>Last time I was at the South Rim, it is in December and was not that crowded at the end of the day. However, around noon time, there were a lot of tour buses from Las Vegas. The typical trips left Vegas after breakfast, they arrived the Grand Canyon around noon time when the light is harsh. People would get a lunch box and hang around for a couple of hours to catch the bus back to Vegas by the evening for dinner and the shows. That kind of trip is ok for sightseeing, but you won't get good images of the landscape.</p>