Please some advise on Canon 6D mirror

h_._jm

<p>Dear Photographers and hobbyists;</p>

<p>Today we were trying my canon 24-70 on my sisters Canon APS-C body and I didn't have a body cap to cover my own Canon 6D.<br>

So naturally, my sister put her 18-55 EF-S and screwed it in place into my Canon 6D!<br>

And boy, I was really upset when I tried to use my Canon 6D later and realized the viewfinder was stuffed up.<br>

Basically the mirror has come off.<br>

I read on forums including on photo.net; and found many mirror coming off issues with Canon 5D I; less so in 5D II.<br>

This camera is now 2-3 years old; and even if it was within warranty; I definitely caused the damage.<br>

I just wanted your advise on repairing it @ Canon VS a trusted honest repairer who fixes my lenses at half price.<br>

So on the websites/forums which discussed this topic Canon USA charges $500 USD roughly to fix this; and they change the mirror and the whole thing it attaches to. I believe that Canon Australia will charge more than this and that equates to maybe $700 Australian dollar which is 50% of price to buy a new 6D.<br>

On the other hand, I think the 3rd party technicians will just glue it in?! not really sure. but definitely much cheaper; and he is a shop with 1 year warranty.<br>

I will go to him tomorrow to get a quote; but if anyone could shed some light/preferences thought would much appreciate it....<br>

I was going the technicians way but my brother in law was warning me saying this is super sensitive issue (the mirror) and he would much rather pay more and get it fixed perfectly with Canon.</p>

<p>Your advise Much appreciated!<br>

Peter</p>

5D mirror release is/was a different issue, these were replaced under warranty. In your case your sister really screwed

up. EF-s lenses don't fit a 6D, she must have used a lot of force to mount the lens. Have the system thorougly checked,

there may be more damage than just the mirror.

<p>I looked on eBay.au and prices for used 6D bodies are running from AU$800, most often around AU$1200, so repair may be your best bet out of a range of possibilities that fairly 'suck'.</p>

<p>I've seen 6D refurbs at Canon direct going for $1000 or less with 1-year warranty, so a $700 repair may not be worth it. Sell the broken 6D for parts in flea-bay, buy a new or refurb 6D and you'll probably come out with money left over for a night on the town. If you originally bought the 6D with certain credit cards you might have extended coverage for theft and accidents...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Wait! what did your 6D ever do to your sister!?! Oh... right, it was <em>those</em> shots... I completely understand... </p>

<p>Seriously, there is no way I believe <em>anybody</em> could accidentally just 'screw on' an EF-S lens to an EF body - not unless the 18-55's mount was already severely damaged... even then... No, I don't believe that's all there is to the story... Not that it matters, Jos is right. it would take a LOT of force, and that could have easily broken other components in the mirror box and frame. I'd sell it for parts as recommended and buy another.</p>

<p> ... although... if the mirror flipping off is <em>all</em>, just 'gluing' it in is a pretty reliable repair if the correct adhesive and preparation is used. Many of the DSLRs currently on the market have 'glued' on mirrors. Remember, there are many airplanes, cars and boats out there that are just 'glued' together. It's not a difficult or 'sensitive' repair - replacing the entire mirror assembly and box however... that is a bit more involved. </p>