MEC-16 SB 16mm camera

<p>I agree. These miniature cameras are fascinating, all the more so because of their comparative rarity and diverse design. I showed an unhealthy interest in 110 cameras at one stage, but decided, in the end, that they were all much the same, once one had acquired half a dozen of the more interesting and advanced examples. These 16mm sub-miniatures really are interesting, though. Thanks, <strong>Martin</strong>.</p>

<p>Very nice, Martin. As long as empty cassettes are available and 16mm negative stock is still being made, I would guess that reloading the cassettes would give users of the MEC 16 as well as numerous miniatures from Minolta, Yashica, and Mamiya (to name a few) a chance to keep using them. Not so easy with 110, as I think only one emulsion is being made right now.</p>

<p>Truly interesting looking camera, and these sub minis just don't take up much space! The only miniature I have is the Minox B, lovely thing but I haven't really done much with it even though I have the Minox tank and enlarger.<br>

Like Rick, I did get a few 110 cameras, still have a Rollei A110 somewhere, and one of those nice Agfa ones.</p>

<p>Cute kit, Martin. Yes, I see in your picture that they've got what would in modern parlance be called "co-branding" with Gossen on the light meter. Does the extensible handle(?) at left in your first picture act as a bolt-action winding-on mechanism, as many of the 110 pocket cameras had? Or must one use the tiny winding lever seen at bottom-left in the second picture?<br>

Mike: The Lomography Shop (I agree, "GROAN") have a black and white 110 film (cut-down Chinese stuff according to discussion online) and allegedly three color films, which I've not well looked into so don't know if they're truly three different emulsions or just badge engineering. I've tried only the "Orca" B&W so far; "Tiger" color one still in the fridge. I couldn't get great results with the Orca even in the Pentax 110 SLR, arguably the best 110 of all, an example of which I've been indefinitely lent. That may not be the fault of this emulsion; 110 in general is frustratingly tiny/grainy, and I have the specific added problem of a very improvised scanning setup. I'm afraid my tendency is much in the other direction (to shoot more medium format and maybe even more 4x5) so I'm unlikely to invest the time to perfect things at the miniature end, endearing though the Pentax may be.<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>