Agat 18k - B&W

<p>I use a canoscan 8800f asnd it is a lot more competent than what you have now and I expect the same of the 9900f. Most reviews stack it up against the Epsom v600 and they are pretty close with the v600 a slight edge. Everyone here seems to use the epsom.<br>

Also if you are not sure about rewind just go in room with no light and feel around with finger. If you have to you can unwind film in dark and put in black film container. When you get it processed make sure you tell them the film is naked and they can handle it.</p>

<p>If it works the Canon 9000F is very capable for a flat plate scanner. It is my work-a-day scanner for opaque materials and quick-and-dirty jobs. It's plenty good if you are just posting on-line images.</p>

<p>For archival scanning of slides and such, a scanner dedicated to film/slide scanning is much better ( a rambling post with backward links at http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00d6UB ). Hard to find good ones that still work, and the market for such scanners new is decreasing very rapidly.</p>

<p>JDM , You mention the 9000f and your link is about the 9000f but Ilya was talking about the 9900F. I was under the impression that these were 2 different animals with the 9900f being much better. Just curious because I am not that literate with equipment and I am going to have to upgrade soon. Maybe if I leave mine on long enough I can burn out the element and then have to buy a new one.</p>

<p>I actually have the 9900 too. I still use the 9000 more since it is already hooked up and more convenient. I don't see much difference, but neither of them is a substitute for a dedicated film scanner like the Canon4000 or the various Nikon Coolscans.</p>

<p>I did not expect so many replies, just seeing them all now. <br>

Not 100% sure if I will set myself up with changing bag and a bathroom dark room yet, because I want to be sure I will have a sustained interested. I already have 3 half started apprenticeships! <br>

So following that logic not sure if I will set myself with a scanner either, until I know I am going to use it and it will not go to waste. </p>

<p>The local photo shop are great, I have been in before with "naked" film in a black canister and they have went and dev it for anyway. It is rather annoying, my Petri does not seem to know when it ends and just ripped it from the canister so its broken inside no matter how much you rewind. Like pulling a snail from its shell, will not go back!</p>