Hasselblad vs. Kiev accessories

mark_jordan3

Hello,

I just purchased a mint condition 500C/M as my first intro into MF,

this forum was very helpful in shaping my decision. My understanding

from the forum is that Kiev bodies and lenses are hit or miss at best

in terms of quality, but what about supporting accessories such as

flash grips, prisms...etc..? My usage is more along the lines of

weekend warrior and would only require these accessories occasionally.

Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark

>My understanding from the forum is that Kiev bodies and lenses are hit or miss at best in terms of quality,

I'm a Kiev user and that is fair comment. A good one is great, but the quality control leaves a lot to be desired. Kiev make a copy of the NC2 prism and have two sorts of metered prisms. If you only use it on weekends a Kiev spot/average prism may be a useful cheap addition. Try www.Kievcamera.com in Atlanta or eBay - the spot average prism runs about $100 new with a replacement guarantee. You may not save much on a flash grip new from Kiev compared with the price of a second-hand Hasselblad accessory. Kiev backs don't work on a Hasselblad although they do mount.

Regards, Ross

I have the Kiev copy of the NC-2 prism. I would not recommend it. It came with part of the eyepiece obscured by something black and opaque. I disassembled the finder to discover that the flat black paint that coats the exterior of the prism had been oversprayed onto the part of the prism that you are supposed to be able to see through. I was able to remove the offending paint, but I think this is an example of the poor quality control that the Russian/Ukranian equipment is famous for. The prism was a bargain, but for only a bit more, I should have bought a used Blad prism.

• 1 month later...
I found a brand new Kiev prism on Ebay, wow, such a clear prism for only 50�!!! Quality is outstanding, no problem with paint on optics. I guess you need a bit luck by not having a monday or friday piece, or a piece out of the hands of a vodka lover. :-)