Optio E30 failed to count after 9999

martin_lelle

<p>I have Pentax Optio E30 for 8 years that counted until 9999 like it used to, saving the images into one folder named "100pentx" (with in-camera image id like 100-xxxx), but after that it creates a new folder and starts to count from 0001 every time I turn it on, creating a whole clusterf... of images with the same name. Is it possible to restore the old counting or is it unrepairable?<br /> The SD card is 8Gb Kingston SD-HC and it's less than 2 years old.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>There are some in-camera settings for controlling the folder, described on p133 in <a href="http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/optio-e30.pdf">the manual</a>. Maybe its behavior will seem better if you use the 'Date' option for the 'Folder Name' setting. </p>

<p>Is what you're saying though that the camera is now forgetting various settings between sessions? Does this happen when your battery dies or literally every time the camera is turned off and back on? Perhaps there was some sort of battery that was supposed to help remember settings (and possibly keep the clock/date working) that no longer functions. </p>

<p>My recommendation though is that you not fight the camera and instead find a better process when importing to your PC/Mac that will automatically rename the images for you -- typically I would have it do something like YYYYMMDD-NNN.jpg where YYYYMMDD is the capture date, and NNN is a sequence# for that day. It would also possible for you to rename your existing images to the same pattern, as the capture date is retained in the image files embedded metadata.</p>