Web image size

<p>Hi. I recently completed a commercial project for an apartment community and provided both web image sizes and larger image sizes. (I did shoot in RAW on a Nikon D5200) After 8 months of already using my images, including using/posting them to their website before they even paid me, and all images looking great/loading fine when I visited their website and lobby where they were displayed on a 50+ inch TV, they're telling me the images are too small.<br>

The first set I provided was for web and they ranged from 500-900KB each at 1024x683 240 resolution. The other set I provided were 1000x1500 at 300 resolution and ranged from 3.5-4.5MB each. I didn't agree to any large format printing like banners, etc. It was just for website and small advertising guides/fliers, etc.<br>

I was also concerned about web images because I know not everyone has a high res monitor or super speed bandwidth, so was concerned about web page loading time for average viewers looking for an apartment to rent. I figured the images I provided were more than sufficient and if they needed something larger, the 4MB files could easily be enlarged. My issue is I already resized them to 1000x2000 and simply don't have time to go back and keep resizing them, nor give them what appears to now be a lifetime subscription to my services. Shouldn't the combination of images I provided be sufficient? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>It sounds like your client wants to print images in a brochure or poster or something. That's the only reason I can think of that would justify their request for even higher resolution images than you've already provided. You are correct that not everyone has a high resolution monitor. But it's not just that ... most people looking for apartments these days are probably using their phones to search and view Web-based images. You don't need higher resolution images for that purpose. At this point, I'd consider the agreement/contract you had with this client. What did you agree to? If their requests exceed the parameters of the agreement, tell them that. They may agree to paying you an additional fee in return for the higher resolution images they want. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if they are asking for something that is clearly not in the agreement and they don't want to pay any additional fee, then you shouldn't feel obligated to provide them any additional service. </p>
David H

<p>Tell them that if they want images that are pixel-for-pixel a good fit on their HD display (which likely is showing things at 1920x1080, they'll just have to pay you for the post production time to render image files optimized for that display method. It's really as simple as that. They want something new, they pay for something new. <br /><br />For what it's worth, I almost always assume that commercial images may need to be seen on an HD display (or even a 4k display, which is 3840x2160), so I make a point of not just asking clients if they'll need that, but advising them that they very likely will, at some point. Your job as a photographer is to anticipate likely usage, and to be your client's expert - that's why they hired you, instead of just stepping outside with their iPhone to snap some quickies for their web site. Remember also that an HD (or 4k) display is going to be showing those images in different aspect ratio, a differently shaped frame, than you might otherwise traditionally feel you should crop to. You need to be thinking about that not just as you edit, but as you compose and shoot. Also remember that many images end up becoming Facebook (and similar) banner/header graphics, with the short, wide aspect that comes with that use. Be sure to compose some shots so that they'll still be useful in that awkward format.<br /><br />Since none of that came up in advance of your project, and it didn't occur to them to talk to you about it - for this time, treat it like new business, and offer them a quote on what it will take for you to revisit the work with their new display method in mind. It's up to you to remind them that you're a professional, and you can't give away your time any more than they are expected to give away theirs. </p>

<p>I had a similar issue in that I was asked for some cropped versions of some product photography I had done for a client, but a few weeks down the line after the job was finished. I'm not sure of how they were to be used - it was for their website, but it was a very narrow format - not one I had come across before. I was a bit frustrated as I hadn't shot the images with such an aspect ratio in mind (and I pointed this out to them) and they also wanted me to select the images (again - time taken to review the images to make an appropriate selections). As they are good clients in terms of promoting my business (they always credit me, and credit me correctly) and are repeat customers, I did it for them without additional charge, but only once I had time in between other jobs. Of course they were thrilled, and a happy client is a great one to help promote your services... (btw, I had asked them in advance what the images were to be used for, so I think they maybe had not thought it through themselves until later..) <br>

I try to view all obstacles and hiccups as a learning opportunity and it helps keep me sane! Good luck!</p>

<p>4k should be a standard you aim for these days. Even phones are displaying that resolution. The only reason you wouldn't want to supply that is because you are trying to eek out more money from your client, which, imho, will rub them the wrong way.</p>

<p>Personally, I hand over full res jpegs. Never the raws, but full res jpegs (my camera shoots in 7k, 7,360 × 4,912). Often times I'll supply a medium res compressed jpg (the full res are saved at 10, so not compressed for all intensive purposes and suitable for print), which would be 2048px at the widest. This is what many tests show to be the optimal res for Facebook, which is where they will end up.<br>

<br />All of these are are Lightroom presets and take a few minutes to export everything at both resolutions, so it really shouldn't be taking you extra time.</p>

<p>Better to give higher quality vs. lower quality. Your clients will wonder why you are giving low resolution images and then complaining about making more. Better to over deliver and have a happy client than under deliver and waste time later on.</p>