Nikon d3300, what's it like please?

louisetopp

<p>What are you expecting from it? - It looks similar to the K30 (I'm a K20D user) interface wise. - High ISO performance is similar, if pixel count doesn't matter. The AF should be significantly faster.<br>

To me the difference between 24 and 16 MP isn't really significant / relevant; it takes more than a kit zoom to benefit from a higher pixel density. <br>

Strengths of your current Pentax: using inexpensive heritage lenses is more convenient than with the Nikon and you'll have SR with anything you'll mount. <br>

If you have a chance to borrow Nikon lenses or an urge to shoot somewhat serious sports I'd say go for the Nikon. <br>

Since I don't get along with the menus of Nikon DSLRs people are handing me spontanously, I'd recommend planning some rounds of quiet time with the manual before an assignment if you don't have a chance to buy such a camera hands on with a sales person showing you how to alter white ballance AF modes and similar. <br>

I wouldn't rush to replace a current camera if I feel it still cutting my cake. - Pixelcount should at least double and 1.5 f-stops of superior high ISO performance don't get me excited either, although I'd of course appreciate them. </p>

<p>If you are thinking of "resetting" your camera marque preference, you might want to include some other marques as well as Pentax and Nikon, as long as you're at it.<br>

There are one or two very nice Canon cameras, for example, and even a few other makers of dSLRs. :)<br>

I know, however, that Nikon has the best flash exposure system. I know this because every Nikon owner I have ever known tells me that.</p>

<p>No personal experience with the K30, but from what I've read in several reviews and comparisons eg http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/pentax/k-30/vs/nikon/d3300/ the K30 seems more aimed at the already more advance amateur, while the D3300 definitely is Nikon's entry level DSLR</p>

<p>The latter however doesn't have to be deal breaker though, and also the Nikon D3300 with kit lens can be found cheaper then the K30 with kitlens (at least where I live)</p>

<p>From a users point of view ( so disregarding any technical feature vs feature comparisons) the D3300 is a nice small and light camera, with a good IQ quality sensor, and pretty decent AF and high ISO.<br>

Being aimed at DSLR newbies, it has a lot of easy presets and shooting modes (like portrait, landscape etc)<br>

That said, when you want to do thing manually yourself (like manual exposure) you'll have to dig into the menus which obviousy won't be the fastest way to go</p>

<p>That said (and I'm a long time Nikon user) if you already shoot Pentax, and don't need a 'new' camera for 'better' specs, the K30 might well be a better alternative (you already have a lens/maybe some lenses)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>First question is: What/why doesn't the existing Pentax K30 satisfy your needs?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Because Nikon has features which my Pentax doesn't hav like Panarama stitch, and a diagram that shows me how far the iris is opening.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Louise, to be a bit blunt but:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Because Nikon has features which my Pentax doesn't hav like Panarama stitch, and a diagram that shows me how far the iris is opening.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would not ever change a camera over that, for the simple reason that selling your Pentax gear will make you lose quite a bit of money, to gain access to features that can quite easily be done for free.<br>

Panorama stitching, there are excellent free programs for PC (for Windows, have a look at <a href="http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/">ICE</a>, which makes very light work of it). The diagram showing how far the aperture opens - the Pentax will show you the aperture value. The lower this value, the larger the aperture will be. A diagram is just a graphical way to show you that number (or f/-number), maybe a bit easier but checking a number isn't all that hard either. If you struggle with these numerics, maybe something like the book "<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390">Understanding Exposure</a>" or a good photography course will be more beneficial than switching camera and lens(es).<br>

There is nothing wrong with the D3300, in fact I'm a Nikon user and generally feel the D3x00 range offers good value for money. But as said, the loss you'll take on the Pentax in this case makes me doubt the value for money is that good.</p>

<p>I would agree with Wouter on this. Among other things, the stitching of panoramas can be done in post processing, and the result can be very good, and produce a picture with enormous pixel count (which you can reduce as needed, whereas you can't add what isn't there). </p>

<p>With that said, my D3200 (similar but without the pan function and with less high ISO capability) is a very decent little camera, that makes very good pictures. It works reliably, and is a dandy platform for older manual Nikon lenses if one is willing to do everything manually. To suggest that you stick with the Pentax is nothing against the Nikon. </p>

<p>Other than a higher-resolution sensor, the D3300 arguably has a <em>lower</em> level of specification than the K30 in many areas. for example, it has 100% viewfinder coverage, as well as in-camera stabilization, weather-sealing, faster max. shutter speed, and 6 frames per second. i dont know that i would swap those out for a couple of basic consumer features, especially since you can pano in post -- unless i was sold on the Nikon's UI and ergonomics (which would require actually testing the D3300 hands-on). The Nikon does have longer battery life, but that may be ameliorated somewhat by the fact the Pentax can run on AAs (with an adapter). I also wouldn't say the Nikon is better for sports as both cameras have 11-pt. autofocus, and Nikon doesn't put its best AF modules on its entry-level bodies. Though the K30 is an older camera, it's still a pretty decent body in 2016.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>As a Newbie, my first DSLR choice, after much investigation and research, was the Nikon D3300 (Used), I am still learning all the different aspects of my new Camera, but basically for the price and the many positive things that it offers, I would highly recommend this Nikon D3300 for any Photographer that is NEW to DSLR Cameras.<br>

Each individual person must decide for themselves which Camera model is right for them, but any decision should be made only after Research and investigation of the many DSLR model Cameras.</p>